A blob of vegetarian cake

Reaction score
Hey,

Recently I attempted to bake a vegetarian cake for my mom but it ended in a disaster. I used a recipe I found online that suggested I replace eggs with either vegetable shortening or increase the about of butter in my batter. I have not tried increasing the butter but I have tried the vegetable shortening alternative but it did not out right. The batter ended up having a thin crust on the top but the whole 'cake' was fluid. I baked it for 45 minutes at 375 degrees Celsius. Can anyone suggest an alternative recipe for a vegetarian cake? Or can someone tell me what might have gone wrong with my recipe?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
Coconut oil! I use coconut oil to replace oil in cakes and it's amazing. Slight coconut taste, though, just to warn you!

Reaction score
Someone just suggested to me using applesauce as oil substitute. I have not tried it yet but plan to soon, as I am hunting healthier treats for my family.

Reaction score
I have not tried it, but I have seen the applesauce suggestion a number of times. LL7, please let us know how your treats turn out.

Reaction score
I have not tried it, but I have seen the applesauce suggestion a number of times. LL7, please let us know how your treats turn out.

Well I did try the applesauce in a cake I was making this past Thursday. It tasted wonderful but was very crumbly for lack of a better word. Is this normal when using the applesauce? Or did I blunder? The cake itself was wonderful just did not want to stay together.

Reaction score
Hey,

Recently I attempted to bake a vegetarian cake for my mom but it ended in a disaster. I used a recipe I found online that suggested I replace eggs with either vegetable shortening or increase the about of butter in my batter. I have not tried increasing the butter but I have tried the vegetable shortening alternative but it did not out right. The batter ended up having a thin crust on the top but the whole 'cake' was fluid. I baked it for 45 minutes at 375 degrees Celsius. Can anyone suggest an alternative recipe for a vegetarian cake? Or can someone tell me what might have gone wrong with my recipe?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
Hi normally for eggless cakes substitues are vinegar and bicarb.

Here is a recipe

2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup vinegar
1 cup oil
2tsp vanilla ess

dry ing
3 cups flour
4tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
1tsp bicrab
1/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt

mix dry ing and add to the wet ing. Pour batter in oven tray and bake at 180 for +- 2o mins.

enjoy

Reaction score
I just recently had someone mention they would only eat a vegetarian cake. Some good suggestions on here and I think I will give it a whirl. There always seems to be a way to substitute out items, but it seems there may be a side effect of two. The coconut oil is interesting and I certainly would not mind the taste!

Reaction score
I know some of my friends use milk in substitute of eggs and their cakes end up being delicious. I have never heard of using coconut oil as a substitute- sounds pretty interesting though!

Ask a Question