A Filipino Bread Called Putok

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I thought of sharing another staple bread in our country called "putok" which is a Filipino word for explode. The bread is called as such because of the trademark crack on top of it which looks like it has just exploded on top. This bread is typically eaten on its own but can also be eated with your favorite spread.

Here's a simplified recipe I found: :)

http://www.food.com/recipe/monay-putok-193232

Reaction score
Putok is very popular now because it is not airy unlike other bread which looks like a sponge that you can press. Putok is fleshy and heavy to eat. But what I remember in the olden days was the big monay bread that we buy in the bakery in the main road of Manila. One piece of that monay which is as big as a plate can feed 5 hungry children for breakfast. I wonder if they still sell those big monay.

By the way, I am on a no-rice diet so my only recourse is bread. Last weekend, I bought 2 pieces of putok for my lunch that went well with menudo, that's a pork dish. I just had 1 putok for lunch and the other piece for dinner.

Reaction score
I too like how heavy it feels on the tummy once you eat it unlike other breads where you have to eat a lot to feel full. The ones I just ate yesterday were a bit bigger than the regular sized "putok", much like the size of a regular bun. I just regret not taking a picture of them so I could share it here. :)

Ask a Question