A question about apple pie

Discussion in 'Pastry' started by QueenOfWinter, Nov 1, 2019.

1. QueenOfWinter

QueenOfWinter New Member

I’m making an apple pie for the first time and I have a question. The recipe I’m using calls for the apple pie filling to be cooked in a saucepan before being placed in the crust and baked in the oven. My question is, once I cook the apple pie filling, can I place the filling in the fridge overnight and bake the pie the next day? Or will the cold of the fridge change the texture or taste of the filling?

QueenOfWinter, Nov 1, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. QueenOfWinter

J13 Well-Known Member

That's a really good question. King Arthur Flour says: Yes! You can refrigerate with no ill effects in taste or texture, though apple filling will darken in color if there is no acid in the recipe (like lemon juice). In fact, KAF says you can keep the filling refrigerated for up to 4 days or freeze for 3 months! :eek: wow. Did not know that. See this recipe for "Make Ahead Pie Filling": https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2014/11/23/make-ahead-apple-pie-filling)

DO read the comment section!

BUT! —and this is IMPORTANT—and not mentioned by KAF though it should be...whether you refrigerate those slices or not....you should spread them out to cool on a sheet pan (raised baking sheet; you can cover bottom with foil to avoid having to wash that baking sheet).

You spread the filling out on such a pan and let it cool completely before refrigerating because If you leave it in the pan (or put it into a container still warm to cool), all slices a-top each other, the apples can steam and become mushy. Spreading them out on a sheet cools them faster, and makes sure they keep a firm, toothy texture that you want in an apple pie.

Please let us know how refrigerating the filling goes and how your first apple pie turns out!

J13, Nov 1, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. QueenOfWinter

Anna Spainhour New Member

You should be fine keeping the filling in the refrigerator but don't fill the pie shell.

Anna Spainhour, Nov 5, 2019
  4. QueenOfWinter

FoodpreneurInstitute New Member

Yes, but the juice from the apples will make the filling loose. Don't use all of it or the pie will be too soggy. Preparing the apples this way makes an amazing pie. Anytime you make a fruit pie and you reserve the fruit for baking later remember the fruit will produce more liquid. You don't have to use it all. I often save it, add a bit more fruit if available or boil it down to a syrup and use on pancakes or waffles. Please post a photo of your pie.

FoodpreneurInstitute, Nov 5, 2019
  5. QueenOfWinter

Anna Spainhour New Member

If you use cornstarch they should be juicy. Does your recipe calls for cornstarch?

Anna Spainhour, Nov 5, 2019
  6. QueenOfWinter

Zaxmom Member

I usually refrigerate cooked apple pie filling as it might take me a couple days to make the pie. I have never had a problem with this method, no soggy apples, no extra liquid. I thicken filling with a combination of cornstarch and flour, as per the recipe I use, and have had successful pies every time. Good luck with your apple pie! I'm sure it will be delicious!!

Zaxmom, Nov 6, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question