Can I refrigerate apple pie filling before baking?

Reaction score
I’m making an apple pie for the first time and I have a question. The recipe I’m using calls for the apple pie filling to be cooked in a saucepan before being placed in the crust and baked in the oven. My question is, once I cook the apple pie filling, can I place the filling in the fridge overnight and bake the pie the next day? Or will the cold of the fridge change the texture or taste of the filling?

J13

Reaction score
That's a really good question. King Arthur Flour says: Yes! You can refrigerate with no ill effects in taste or texture, though apple filling will darken in color if there is no acid in the recipe (like lemon juice). In fact, KAF says you can keep the filling refrigerated for up to 4 days or freeze for 3 months! :eek: wow. Did not know that. See this recipe for "Make Ahead Pie Filling": https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2014/11/23/make-ahead-apple-pie-filling)

DO read the comment section!

BUT! —and this is IMPORTANT—and not mentioned by KAF though it should be...whether you refrigerate those slices or not....you should spread them out to cool on a sheet pan (raised baking sheet; you can cover bottom with foil to avoid having to wash that baking sheet).

You spread the filling out on such a pan and let it cool completely before refrigerating because If you leave it in the pan (or put it into a container still warm to cool), all slices a-top each other, the apples can steam and become mushy. Spreading them out on a sheet cools them faster, and makes sure they keep a firm, toothy texture that you want in an apple pie.

Please let us know how refrigerating the filling goes and how your first apple pie turns out!

Reaction score
I’m making an apple pie for the first time and I have a question. The recipe I’m using calls for the apple pie filling to be cooked in a saucepan before being placed in the crust and baked in the oven. My question is, once I cook the apple pie filling, can I place the filling in the fridge overnight and bake the pie the next day? Or will the cold of the fridge change the texture or taste of the filling?
You should be fine keeping the filling in the refrigerator but don't fill the pie shell.

Reaction score
Yes, but the juice from the apples will make the filling loose. Don't use all of it or the pie will be too soggy. Preparing the apples this way makes an amazing pie. Anytime you make a fruit pie and you reserve the fruit for baking later remember the fruit will produce more liquid. You don't have to use it all. I often save it, add a bit more fruit if available or boil it down to a syrup and use on pancakes or waffles. Please post a photo of your pie.

Reaction score
I usually refrigerate cooked apple pie filling as it might take me a couple days to make the pie. I have never had a problem with this method, no soggy apples, no extra liquid. I thicken filling with a combination of cornstarch and flour, as per the recipe I use, and have had successful pies every time. Good luck with your apple pie! I'm sure it will be delicious!!

Reaction score
IMG_20191127_212800.jpg
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate your advice, but since this was my first time baking an apple pie, I decided to bake it all at once. I will reserve your advice for future reference. I do have another question for you all. I just finished baking the apple pie and am cooling it on the windowsill. My question is can I leave it out at room temperature overnight? I used an egg wash both on top of the pie crust and on top of the bottom crust, below the filling in order to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. Their is no egg in the filling itself. Is it safe to consume tomorrow without refrigerating? Or should I put it in the fridge just in case?

Reaction score
View attachment 2712 Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate your advice, but since this was my first time baking an apple pie, I decided to bake it all at once. I will reserve your advice for future reference. I do have another question for you all. I just finished baking the apple pie and am cooling it on the windowsill. My question is can I leave it out at room temperature overnight? I used an egg wash both on top of the pie crust and on top of the bottom crust, below the filling in order to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. Their is no egg in the filling itself. Is it safe to consume tomorrow without refrigerating? Or should I put it in the fridge just in case?

Reaction score
WOW!! This was your first time baking an apple pie? My goodness! It's GORGEOUS!! I bet it's going to taste absolutely fantastic. You can leave it out for 2 to 3 days, no refrigeration required. The egg is fully cooked and crust is safe to eat without refrigeration. If pie has been sliced and you wish to leave it on the counter, then cover loosely with plastic wrap or foil. Pie will keep an additional 2-3 days, loosely covered, in the fridge. It won't be as crisp, but it will still be tasty.

Reaction score
WOW!! This was your first time baking an apple pie? My goodness! It's GORGEOUS!! I bet it's going to taste absolutely fantastic. You can leave it out for 2 to 3 days, no refrigeration required. The egg is fully cooked and crust is safe to eat without refrigeration. If pie has been sliced and you wish to leave it on the counter, then cover loosely with plastic wrap or foil. Pie will keep an additional 2-3 days, loosely covered, in the fridge. It won't be as crisp, but it will still be tasty.

Thank you very much for replying. I appreciate the compliment. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I plan on serving it to my family for Thanksgiving. I'm concerned about the bottom of the pie. It was a bit soggy looking, even though I used an egg wash on top of the bottom crust AND I placed the pie on a hot metal baking sheet in order to crisp up the bottom crust. It didn't seem to work. I had forgotten to place the pie on the bottom rack of the oven. Once I realized my mistake I did end up putting it on the bottom rack of the oven, but only for about 8 minutes because the filling was starting to overflow. It browned slightly at the bottom but I'm still concerned it might be a touch under baked. I truly hope no one gets sick due to my mistake.

J13

Reaction score
I truly hope no one gets sick due to my mistake.
The egg wash you brushed on the bottom crust was under hot (VERY HOT!) apples—so, believe me, there is no raw egg anywhere in/on this pie. As for the bottom crust...It was in the oven a long time. So while it might not be optimally crisp and/or soggy, have no worries that anyone is going to get sick from it because it's "raw."

As for what people will think of your pie...I'll bet that no one even notices the "not crispness" of the bottom (assuming you're right and it's not crisp) except you. The top is certainly crisp enough to give everyone that wonderful texture we all want when biting into an apple pie, and that tart caramelized apple filling will be so delicious that the bottom, whatever it's texture, won't matter at all.

Please report to us how it goes over. And I agree with Zaxmom, for a first-ever apple pie...you hit it out of the park. It looks absolutely perfect! Be proud! You did better than good..you did AMAZING! And smile. You're going to get a lot of compliments today—and probably the only complaint you'll get is that you didn't make two pies :D

Reaction score
Queen of Winter, I always brush some egg white onto the bottom crust and bake my pies on a baking sheet which has been preheated in a 350-375 degree oven on the MIDDLE RACK!! And my crusts always come out crisp, never soggy. I don't think you made a mistake. I bet your bottom crust is cooked just right. And I agree with J13 that your bottom crust was cooked long enough not to make anyone sick, that the texture of that crust won't matter because the top is crisp enough. Just focus on how terrific your pie tastes and like J13 said, people will wonder why you didn't make two pies! I hope you get back to us to let us know how things turned out. :)

Reaction score
Please report to us how it goes over. And I agree with Zaxmom, for a first-ever apple pie...you hit it out of the park. It looks absolutely perfect! Be proud! You did better than good..you did AMAZING! And smile. You're going to get a lot of compliments today—and probably the only complaint you'll get is that you didn't make two pies :D

Thank you very much for your kind words. The pie was a big hit! Everyone enjoyed it. My sister’s boyfriend had 3 slices!! Their’s few things more satisfying than baking something that everyone enjoys. I’m still very much a novice when it comes to baking and I’ve made my fair share of mistakes. So whenever I bake something successfully I always feel quite proud, which is a rare feeling for me. Thank you to everyone for all of your help.

This is the apple pie recipe I used, if anyone is interested. The pie turned out great so it’s a good recipe to have.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12320-apple-pie

Reaction score
I use this recipe, too! It's great! I've been using it for several years now and always get compliments on my apple pie. Happy to hear your pie turned out so well. Keep up the good work!!

Ask a Question