A recipe you totally made up?

Reaction score
Do you love to bake so much that you've made up a recipe on your own? What inspired your recipe? Would you care to share the recipe?

I'm not much of a creative person so I've not made up a totally new recipe. I always tweak the ones I do have though.

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to do this, but unfortunately with baking I'm a devoted recipe followed! Don't get me wrong, I'll make changes to recipes I've tried before, but I couldn't come up with something from scratch.

With savoury cooking I'm a lot more creative though!

Reaction score
I can't do this with savory dishes, but not really with sweet baked goods like cupcakes.

So for example, there are lots of casseroles and the like which I've come up with on my own. If I try to make desserts from scratch without a recipe, though, I feel like I would mess up all the ratios. I'm really only comfortable with changing around the toppings or fillers some (like peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips, etc).

Reaction score
Though I'm sure there are recipes found on the web and elsewhere, I'd have to say that I made up Mexican lasagna over a decade ago. I balances work and school and found myself too tired to deal with fast food or cooking a balanced meal. So I needed something that was quick, economical and could be frozen.

Using a dutch oven, I browned ground turkey or beef while preheating the oven at about 350 degrees. Then I would mix in about a cup of chunky salsa and canned black beans (or refried pinto beans). Then layer with four tortillas (I bought a street size/small dozen pack for this recipe). The next layer was two cups of instant or Spanish rice that was cooking in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Once evenly covered, it was layered with four tortillas.I would top off with as much shredded Cheddar, Pepper Jack, chipotle cheese I could find around the house. It would cook for 20-30 minutes uncovered and storage was easy,:D

Reaction score
Yep, I come up with lots of "recipes" when I'm cooking savory dishes. I seldom use recipes when I cook. I'm more nervous about that when baking, though; I usually use recipes.

Reaction score
My Chocolate cake. I've posted it a few times since I joined this group.
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar(not Splenda, makes it hard, dense and salty)
1 stick softened butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
Mix until smooth. Pour into. greased cake pan. Bake 375° 25-30 minutes.
It's moist and so delicious.

Reaction score
I created a chicken hot dish from scratch when I was looking for something new to make my family. You line the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan with cooked Stovetop Stuffing. Then add 4 raw chicken breasts on top. Take a can of Cream of Chicken soup and heat it up on the stove, with a half a can of water and add chopped onion, carrots, and celery until they are just cooked. Pour this mixture over the chicken breasts and top the dish with french fried onions. Bake covered in a 365 degree oven for 1 hour and dinner is done!

Reaction score
The first time I bake something new, I tend to follow the recipe exactly. Then, the next time, I will add my own additions if I feel its necessary. I have never made up my own sweet recipe though. I get pretty creative with my own recipes when it comes to savory dishes!

Ask a Question