What is a Diaper Cake? Explained Simply

Reaction score
It has been years since I attended a Baby Shower.
I am familiar with the games we played, when my age group was still having babies, and the decorations really have not changed all that much. I am not familiar with diaper cakes, though.

When I hear the word my first image of the cake is far from flattering and is probably not something anyone would ever eat, so my mental image has to be wrong.

What is a diaper cake?

Reaction score
A diaper cake is a bunch of diapers arranged in a manner that looks like a cake (usually two to three layers, arranged like a wedding cake). Then inside the "cake" there are usually things like socks, pacifiers, bibs, etc. Basically, anything that's useful but little enough to fit inside the arranged diapers. They can be made to look rather pretty and if I was ever going to a shower, I'd make one. They're in no way edible. ;)

Reaction score
Not a silly question. I didn't know either. I do know though we used to all bring cookies and baked goods for all to enjoy as well.

Reaction score
I have never been to a baby shower and never had one with my two pregnancies. I had no idea until now that there was a such thing as a diaper cake. When hearing the name, I thought of a cake in the shape of a diaper.

Reaction score
I think that the explanation made by LivetoErr was spot on. I think it would be fun to make a cake that looks like a Diaper though! I have no idea how it would be made... maybe a round cake with fondant decorations?

Reaction score
I actually made a diaper cake for my boss's baby shower. I had first saw the idea on Pinterest. It was fun to make and it turned out really cute! I made a three tier cake using white diapers. I wrapped the diapers around a half used papertowl roll. (The papertowl roll was sturdy enough to hold the cake up.) I then tied a hot pink bow around each layer. I added pink (fake) flowers tucked into the ribbon. I also tucked in pink baby socks and pink pacifiers. On top, like a cake topper, I added a pair of hot pink baby shoes. I also used a lot of party ribbon. It turned out really cute. I wish I had a picture to share. :( She used the diaper cake as a decoration for the party. Once she had her little girl, she took apart the cake and used the diapers and the other items in the cake. It was a fun gift. I enjoyed making it, and she really loved it.

Reaction score
A diaper cake is a bunch of diapers arranged in a manner that looks like a cake (usually two to three layers, arranged like a wedding cake). Then inside the "cake" there are usually things like socks, pacifiers, bibs, etc. Basically, anything that's useful but little enough to fit inside the arranged diapers. They can be made to look rather pretty and if I was ever going to a shower, I'd make one. They're in no way edible. ;)

Thanks for the response!
Well I'm not sure how I feel about the answer, though.
The creation is probably very cute, but part of me finds the idea an appetite suppressant of significant magnitude!

I always get a little queasy over non-food items made to resemble food, though!

Reaction score
Well, just be happy it isn't edible! Could you imagine if it was some sort of cake that looked like the contents of a diaper? I suppose it would be good for those of us on a diet... I just think they're a really useful gift for the mom to be (and good centerpiece for the present table).
images

Ask a Question