How to Add Coffee to Chocolate Cake Recipe

Reaction score
Hello ☺️

I have made this Nigella sunken chocolate cake many times and it’s super tasty, recipe here:

Ingredients​

For the cake​

I would love to add coffee to this recipe, I am not an experienced baker, and have no idea where to start. Or what type of coffee, powder, grounds, Camps… how much? I like the taste of coffee so would be nice to be stronger. But when I have tried to add to cakes before it dried them out.

Please help

many thanks xx

Reaction score
Hi, coffee in a chocolate cake brings out the lovely chocolate flavour.
when I add coffee to a chocolate cake I usually either use espresso powder about a heaped teaspoon mixed in with the cocoa powder or I use about 5mls to 10mls of ready made espresso. Using this method I find that the cake stays moist and doesn’t become too dry.
hope this helps
x

Reaction score
Hello ☺️

I have made this Nigella sunken chocolate cake many times and it’s super tasty, recipe here:

Ingredients​

For the cake​

I would love to add coffee to this recipe, I am not an experienced baker, and have no idea where to start. Or what type of coffee, powder, grounds, Camps… how much? I like the taste of coffee so would be nice to be stronger. But when I have tried to add to cakes before it dried them out.

Please help

many thanks xx

I would add grand marnier, not coffee, there is no known documentation in french pastry that claims coffee brings out anything but coffee, it clouds the flavor of choc, grand marnier marries very well and enhances the fruitiness under tone of choc.
This thing about coffee and choc is a very recent internet thing started by someone and it just gets passed along, originally coffee was included in mousse recipes to prevent the choc from seizing but it actually clouds the taste of the mousse.

I would leave that cake just the way it is, you can't beat success.

Ask a Question