Adding Soda into Box Cake Mix

Reaction score
I have never heard of that until now. Do you add it in place of something or in addition to something else? How does the cake come out, is it better then the original way of making the box cake? Really would like to know more about this.

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of recipes for this on Pinterest. Supposedly by adding diet soda to cake mix, you cut the calories and get instant 2 ingredient cake.
I think this is for non-bakers because adding soda to cake mix isn't exactly gourmet or cooking from scratch.

74becdb0f9d33abdd37d55fb735e1751.jpg

Reaction score
Someplace in my pile of recipes I have one from many years ago for 7-Up cake, which was served to be at a meeting. I never did make it, but I believe this recipe is from-scratch (not a boxed cake mix) and simply has 7-Up as one of the ingredients. As I recall is was very moist and dense (two important qualifications for me for favorite cakes.) I think this was the beginning of the fad of putting soda in cakes. At least I'd never heard of it until then.

Reaction score
Someplace in my pile of recipes I have one from many years ago for 7-Up cake, which was served to be at a meeting. I never did make it, but I believe this recipe is from-scratch (not a boxed cake mix) and simply has 7-Up as one of the ingredients. As I recall is was very moist and dense (two important qualifications for me for favorite cakes.) I think this was the beginning of the fad of putting soda in cakes. At least I'd never heard of it until then.

People have been putting Coca Cola and Dr. Pepper in chocolate cake made from scratch for years, but this 2 ingredient diet soda/cake mix thing seems to be a recent fad on Pinterest. I haven't tried it yet because I can't imagine how it can possibly work without eggs or oil.

Reaction score
Never heard of it but will defenitly give it a try! I jus love to try new things when i bake sometimes it can be a dissater:p but i beleive if you dont try you will never know!!

Reaction score
People have been putting Coca Cola and Dr. Pepper in chocolate cake made from scratch for years, but this 2 ingredient diet soda/cake mix thing seems to be a recent fad on Pinterest. I haven't tried it yet because I can't imagine how it can possibly work without eggs or oil.

The diet soda/cake mix seems interesting. I never really thought there would be a difference between regular and diet drinks. I wonder if brand also makes a difference. The first time I made this...it was extremely liquid-y! It certainly took a lot of stirring. However, the results were definitely well worth it!

Reaction score

Well, don't be afraid to give it a go. At the worst you're out a few dollars. I tried a muffin recipe last year that had only chocolate cake mix and a can of pumpkin in it. My family really enjoyed them.

Reaction score
I actually enjoy adding orange soda to a white or vanilla cake. It kind of tastes like a creamcicle you can also add whatever soda you put in the cake to just some regular frosting and I think it is very tasty. If you do try this please tell me what you think because I think it is very good. You can also add fruit in there too if you use a fruit soda. Just an idea. Hope this helped.

Reaction score
wh
Have you ever tried adding soda to box cake mix? I tried this for the first time a few years ago when I stumbled upon this blog:

http://www.bakerella.com/super-eazy-no-fuss-just-fizzy/

By the way...I'm pretty obsessed with bakerella! Anyways, I never heard of adding soda into box cake mix until then...so I was wondering if anyone else has?
when I saw this post, I thought maybe you meant baking soda, sorry! Which I actually do sometimes to boxed stuff, whether it is pancakes, cakes, etc. Who knows how long something has been sitting on a shelf and I want to have some "lift" to my baked goods. I rarely buy boxed items, but when I do, I add baking soda and powder, and sometimes cinnamon. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
I've tried it also and it has worked well for me. It's by no means near baking from scratch, but it's a simple, quick way to make a tasty cake. The bonus with diet soda is that it's lower in calories/carbohydrates.

Reaction score
I've never heard of that before, but it looks interesting. What does it replace when you use box mix? Does it replace both the water and the eggs, or what? I've seen cakes with fizzy drinks added go both right and wrong - one of the chefs I used to work with put Cola in his chocolate cake and swore by it, whereas when I was in school, we had to design our own muffins and one boy put Irn Bru in his, which turned out to be a total disaster! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
The soda (fizzy soft drink) replaces the eggs and water. Just mix in one can and bake as directed on the box.

Reaction score
I just pinned a recipe today that's one box of chocolate cake mix and one can of regular Coke. The blogger that wrote the recipe said that the only thing wrong with it, is that it can crumble easily, so you should let it cool completely and cut it carefully with a sharp knife.

Reaction score
I have never heard of that either but I am always open to new ideas on baking, thanks for the tip..

Reaction score
I've only just heard of this since joining this forum, but I think it's something I might try, it sounds really good!

Reaction score
This reminds me of the old down home recipe for seven up pound cake. After seeing the cherry 7up it makes me wonder what other flavors you can infuse into a cake useing differnt flavors of soda.

Reaction score
I've made "7-Up" cake before, but the recipe also still called for egg and oil. It just had you use the soda in place of the water. Also it called for a box of pudding mix. It was super moist - almost too moist as I could barely handle a piece with my hands without it sticking to them like crazy. But the main issue I had with it was that it was insanely sweet. It tasted like a cake soaked in corn syrup - which it basically was.

Perhaps it's not so bad if you leave out the pudding mix and oil and egg.

Ask a Question