Adding some wholemeal flour to make it healthier

Reaction score
I recently made some cupcakes for myself and decided to mix the flours together and the result were really good. the cakes weren't too hard, but were firmer than they would have been with only self-raising flour and I felt better adding some extra fiber in my cakes and you can still taste the vanilla essence.

I like to experiment a bit especially when I am eating them myself, so it does work!

Reaction score
This is a great idea! I never thought about making a healthy cupcake because a cupcake is usually something I associate with as very unhealthy. I have some rye flour and buckwheat and will tell you how those turn out. I think I'll add in some whipped egg whites to make it less dense.

Reaction score
I did something similar some time back but it was a lot firmer than I had hoped. I like the healthier twist because I have some health and weight issues, that makes baking difficult to deal with. It's difficult to bake a yummy cake and not take a few dives at it. I find when I do bake I try to get it out of the house quickly. That's my healthy approach:).

Reaction score
When I want to do that but not too sure how the result will be (cause it's my first time making it or whatever), I always just do half of the whole wheat flour and half of the all-purpose flour. I've never had an issue with this and it usually turns out really good!

I would only feel comfortable with replacing my entire recipe with whole wheat flour if I knew it will work out and not be too hard/stiff.

Reaction score
I don't add half and half, I only add about a third or quarter of wholemeal flour as I don't want the cakes too firm. It does work, but adding too much would make it less of a cake and more of a wholemeal muffin.

Reaction score
My friend makes cake with 100% whole wheat flour. It does taste a bit different, but it still seems like cake. If you have a nice filling and a good frosting it will cover much of the whole grain flavor and make it seem more like typical cake.

Reaction score
I like doing that as well, for some thing I use only wholemeal flour, but it depends on the things I'm going to bake. It really depends, some things are better off if you only use a bit wholemeal and the rest self raising flour.

Ask a Question