Advice Needed

Reaction score
Yesterday we took delivery of a brand new glass topped stove. The top seemed to have some kind of greasy coating on it which we tried to clean with special cleaner with only partial success. Now no matter how much we polish the top looks really smeary and after only one use the burners have that sort of blacker halo around them. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Does anyone know if there actually is a coating or what can be done to get rid of the smears? BTW, the stove we're replacing also had a glass top but cleaned up a lot better than this one.

Reaction score
Oh no, that doesn't sound good! Have you tried a strong de-greaser? If I were you I'd get in touch with the company you bought it from ASAP and let them know. If the residue causes permanent damage then you don't want to be held liable!

Reaction score
I'd do what Becky said as it relates to calling the people you bought it from. You said glass top so I am assuming it is electric? When I bought mine ages ago it came with a cleaning agent. I would not even use that stove until I have spoken to someone where it came from. I'm sorry you had to encounter this but better now than two weeks later.

Reaction score
I'll third the above opinions, as well as adding that I'd do some looking around on the internet to see if there are problems associated with that make and model, so you're forearmed if that's the case, before speaking to whomever you purchased it from.

Reaction score
I also say call the company you got the stove from and explain the problem. You do not want to be stuck with a stove that has a residue on it. My guess is that the residue is some sort of protective layer, but you should not have a smeary mess. If degreasers and cleaners do not get rid of it, I am not sure what else you can do.

Reaction score
check with the place you bought it from and the company who made it,just encase there is something wrong and do it while it is under warranty,contact them as soon as you can

best of luck,I hate that it isn't doing right for you ;)

Reaction score
Yes, call the manufacturer, or look on their website to see how to clean the top of the stove.

It might have had a special coating on it to keep it from getting scratched up while shipping, and the people who sold it to you didn't tell you about it.

Reaction score
Thanks, All, for the good advice. I'll definitely call the manufacturer and get someone out to look at it. Not a happy bunny!

Reaction score
check with who you bought it from first,there may be an in store warranty replacement involved,if you need to go that route

Ask a Question