Advice on baking a large (slab) cake!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I need some help/advice. I'm very into baking and have made many cakes (as an amateur) and have been quite successful. However, I was recently asked to make a very large cake for an event, and I'm up for the challenge. I've never made a cake this big before (aiming for 12x18"). Where do I start?? I read online that you need three standard cake batter batches to fill this pan? Can anyone offer some insight or advice? Any recipes you would suggest?

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors--

How tall is this pan?
Is this a decorative cake?
Is this a Anniversary or Wedding cake?

What type of cake is it supposed to be?

Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors--

How tall is this pan?
Is this a decorative cake?
Is this a Anniversary or Wedding cake?

What type of cake is it supposed to be?

I actually haven't purchased the pan yet. I have my eye on one and I'd say it's about 3 inches deep? It is going to be decorated, but nothing too fancy--with buttercream. It's for a graduation party. I want it to be Vanilla.

Reaction score
Ok, so it's not so bad then. Just the next size up from a 9x13 pan.

You can look online for the kind of vanilla cake recipe you want, and then see what size pan it fits.....you might need to double or triple it.

I would suggest a French Vanilla wedding cake recipe. It is a bit denser than standard cake, so it should hold up better for decorating and travelling. But thats up to you.

I would definitely use a cake batter recipe that will fill that pan 100% when baked.
That will give you the maximum advantage all the way around.

Just make certain the board you put the cake on (or plate) is very hard and very sturdy.
I would suggest a piece of plywood covered in a nice vinyl fabric or something waterproof. Nothing worse than having your cake board bend and your cake crack open.

Reaction score
T=
Ok, so it's not so bad then. Just the next size up from a 9x13 pan.

You can look online for the kind of vanilla cake recipe you want, and then see what size pan it fits.....you might need to double or triple it.

I would suggest a French Vanilla wedding cake recipe. It is a bit denser than standard cake, so it should hold up better for decorating and travelling. But thats up to you.

I would definitely use a cake batter recipe that will fill that pan 100% when baked.
That will give you the maximum advantage all the way around.

Just make certain the board you put the cake on (or plate) is very hard and very sturdy.
I would suggest a piece of plywood covered in a nice vinyl fabric or something waterproof. Nothing worse than having your cake board bend and your cake crack open.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!!

Ask a Question