Advice on edible gold colouring wanted please :)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I wonder if you might be able to give me some advice on a topic which I'm a little unfamiliar on please...

I'm making a 2 tiered wedding cake as a wedding present for a friend and for the top tier she would like a gold sequin effect. I've never used any gold paints or sprays before and I wondered if you could recommend the best method for me to use as i'll need to paint the whole top cake (it's a double stack 8"). Would you use a gold aerosol spray, pump spray, ready made paint or create a paint from a gold dust/vodka mix? Also are there any brands you would recommend? The shade of gold I'm going for is more of a champagne gold than a yellow gold if that makes sense...

Any help would be so gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I wonder if you might be able to give me some advice on a topic which I'm a little unfamiliar on please...

I'm making a 2 tiered wedding cake as a wedding present for a friend and for the top tier she would like a gold sequin effect. I've never used any gold paints or sprays before and I wondered if you could recommend the best method for me to use as i'll need to paint the whole top cake (it's a double stack 8"). Would you use a gold aerosol spray, pump spray, ready made paint or create a paint from a gold dust/vodka mix? Also are there any brands you would recommend? The shade of gold I'm going for is more of a champagne gold than a yellow gold if that makes sense...

Any help would be so gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

I would not recommend aerosols as the can color sprays are very difficult to control. The color will be very splotchy. Metallics show imperfections far more than matte colors, so it’s best to apply metallics with a good airbrush system.

Also since metallics magnify every flaw, for best results practice the technique you decide on before you attempt to make an event cake. Use a dummy cake form and cover with inexpensive fondant to practice on.

The sequins effect is very different from painted on color and gold leafing. If your friend wants the gold sequin look, you actually have to use that technique.

Jenna Rae free tutorial on metallic sequin cake

Lori Hutchison’s Craftsy (tutorial requires purchase) cake decorating tutorial has a gold sequin cake module. Hutchinson sequin cake work is considered some of the best in the industry.

Kara Couture Cakes free tutorial on making editable sequin if you want to make your own to control the color.

Some of the older tutorials on sequins cakes use regular candy colored cupcake sprinkles that are applied to the cake and painted over with gold food color paint. But that creates a very shoddy finish, so I would not advise it.

Go to sites like cake geek to get an idea of the different ways to use metallics in cake design. Sometimes less is more. Balancing metallics with other design features create a far more sophisticated and elegant look than a tier plastered all over with metallic.

Ask a Question