Advice on Russell Hobbs 18036

Reaction score
Hi all,

As title suggests I need some help!

During the first operation of my brand new Russell Hobbs machine, I followed the recommended amounts (according to the booklet).
We heard the machine start to move the spindle after heating up for a while. 10 minutes later we started to hear a God Almighty Racket coming from the bread maker. It sounded like popcorn popping in the microwave only much much louder.
I didn't think that could be right but as I have never used one (and couldn't find any useful information online) I let it do its thing.
The loaf looked decent enough when it was finished but was way to dense! I could have bicep curled with it
I have put another loaf on today with less wholemeal and white flour in and the sound is not as bad but is still there.
My step Dad suggested that it could be the belt slipping. Which might actually make sense as the mix was not as thick today and the noise is quieter.

Does anybody else have any suggestions or advice? Is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
The loaf mold insert is probably lifting up and skipping on the drive gear due to excess load.
Watch the insert when it makes that noise, if its popping up try adding a bit more liquid to the dough.
Maybe try a softer type bread , milk bread is safe for a bread machine.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did try a little less flour the second time and slightly more water. It was less noisy but still too noisy.
The first time I used what the booklet said, the second time I used a fair bit less flour and more water.
Surely the machine should be able to handle 180g wholemeal flour and 180g of strong white flour? If it isn't one has to ask the question........ Why not?
Trying to avoid milk by the way so that isn't in there.
I was going for the medium size loaf size of 700g. I used the following:
Water:350g
23g olive oil
10g salt
180g wholemeal flour
180g strong white flour
2g yeast.
No milk powder or sugar as I don't want that in there.
Should it really be skipping on the drive gear with this load in?

Reaction score
It might be stripped.
I'd pop it open and watch it run.
Remove the bottom. and look for damage, stripped gear or drive belt with missing teeth.

Reaction score
Mistakes are made in mfger but the first loaf was incredibly hard you say, thats on you.
I think these consumer level machines ought to have some safety feature to protect them from overload.

Reaction score
I agree, especially as I followed the amounts exactly on the first loaf.
Will have a play around with it but if it carries on its going back and I will invest in a Panasonic.

Reaction score
I agree, especially as I followed the amounts exactly on the first loaf.
Will have a play around with it but if it carries on its going back and I will invest in a Panasonic.

Thats too bad , looks like a nice machine.
I would like one, I don't buy bread but can't be bothered baking any lately.

Ask a Question