Advice with not baking with a leavening agent or yeast

Reaction score
I am looking to see if anyone out there can give me a little help with baking without yeast or a leavening agent. My teenage daughter and I have issues with using baking soda, baking powder or yeast just to make baked goods fluffy and not so dense treats. Also, I can't use regular pizza dough and help make that rise too. Any guidance would be extremely appreciative. Thank you in advance.

Ima

Reaction score
For bread: If you and your daughters have issues with commercial yeast, then perhaps create a sourdough starter (the King Arthur website has instructions) and use that instead of commercial yeast. Sourdough starters generally rely on non-commercial naturally occurring yeasts - for example yeast that is already on rye.

For cakes: Angel Food cakes use eggs (whites whisked to soft or stiff peaks) as the leavening agent - no baking powder or bicarbonate of soda. There's also no leavening agent in brownies.

Ask a Question