all the cakes, muffins, cookies premixes

Reaction score
I use premixes for my bases. I just change them a bit to fit what it is I am wanting to make.
They are cheaper than having to buy the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, yeast, and all that...all separately.

I can use cookie mixes for a multitude of things, as I can for cake mixes as well.

Reaction score
I use them sometimes if I am in a hurry o if I am just waiting for someone to come over and I don't feel in the mood to get in the trouble to prepare something myself. I've found several ways to make those mixes taste better ;)

Reaction score
I don't use them as a base for what I'm cooking. I usually do use mixes for brownies, because the one I use comes out so yummy. I tried a different one over the holidays, and loved it, as well, but can't remember the brand. I know it had chocolate chunks, so I will hopefully be able to find it that way.

I always have the basics (flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vinegar, baking soda and powder, vanilla, cocoa, and some form of milk (usually half and half) in the house, because it just feels weird not to have them. I get urges to bake sometimes in the middle of the night if I can't sleep, and wouldn't want to have to run to the store for ingredients. I come from a long line of bakers/cooks, so it drives me crazy to have an empty pantry/refrigerator.

Reaction score
I'll use them for convenience and cost - a lot of the time you can use little tweaks to make a box mix taste more homemade, so those are fun and quite honestly I don't think people can tell the difference a lot of the time! At least, I've had many people compliment me on my "home made" cupcakes when I have used box mix on occasion!

Reaction score
I'll use them for convenience and cost - a lot of the time you can use little tweaks to make a box mix taste more homemade, so those are fun and quite honestly I don't think people can tell the difference a lot of the time! At least, I've had many people compliment me on my "home made" cupcakes when I have used box mix on occasion!

Actually, thinking back, I did use boxed mixes for the cakes when I took cake decorating classes, because that is what the teacher recommended. She figured we'd be busy enough with the frosting part to not have to add to the difficulty with homemade cakes. There are some boxed cake mixes that I've used in the past that have been really good. I tend to go for the special ones, like spice cake or french vanilla cake, or even the ones with pudding in the mix. If I'm making just a plain layer cake, I will usually do that from scratch, since I don't often keep boxed mixes at the house.

Reaction score
Actually, thinking back, I did use boxed mixes for the cakes when I took cake decorating classes, because that is what the teacher recommended. She figured we'd be busy enough with the frosting part to not have to add to the difficulty with homemade cakes. There are some boxed cake mixes that I've used in the past that have been really good. I tend to go for the special ones, like spice cake or french vanilla cake, or even the ones with pudding in the mix. If I'm making just a plain layer cake, I will usually do that from scratch, since I don't often keep boxed mixes at the house.

Spice cake is one of my favorite box mixes - I don't think I could even replicate it if I was making a homemade cake combination! I've always found it perfectly delicious and moist!

Reaction score
Spice cake is one of my favorite box mixes - I don't think I could even replicate it if I was making a homemade cake combination! I've always found it perfectly delicious and moist!

Yes, that's why I would definitely buy the boxed mix if I were to make one. I haven't had one in quite a while, so it might be time. Another is the french vanilla boxed cake mix, I'm not sure what would be involved, to make it 'french' vanilla, so I'd just buy the mix and use it for that.

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I would definitely buy the boxed mix if I were to make one. I haven't had one in quite a while, so it might be time. Another is the french vanilla boxed cake mix, I'm not sure what would be involved, to make it 'french' vanilla, so I'd just buy the mix and use it for that.

Well, I was just going to ask how you make homemade French Vanilla, since I have yet to figure that one out as well. I guess I'll have to look it up one of these days. I'm sure someone out there has done or is doing the experimentation on it. I certainly don't need to do the taste testing ... I would enjoy it, but that is way too much sugar, ha ha.

Oh, and as for the original topic, yes I have used boxed mixes. I like to doctor them up a bit if I do.
I much prefer homemade though.

Reaction score
The most surprisingly good mix I made that was so much better than my from scratch cake, was a carrot cake mix. I now prefer to bake from scratch after using mixes for too many years. I test my skills now in the baking department with baking nearly everything from scratch.. I will still buy a mix here and there but just in case I need a quick fix. I am yet to experiment with using mixes as a base for something greater.

Reaction score
The most surprisingly good mix I made that was so much better than my from scratch cake, was a carrot cake mix. I now prefer to bake from scratch after using mixes for too many years. I test my skills now in the baking department with baking nearly everything from scratch.. I will still buy a mix here and there but just in case I need a quick fix. I am yet to experiment with using mixes as a base for something greater.

@Winterybella Do you remember which brand the carrot cake mix was? I have never made one, and love them. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to make one from scratch, especially since it's just me here right now, but I might try making a carrot cake from a mix, if I knew the mix was a good one.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Do you remember which brand the carrot cake mix was? I have never made one, and love them. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to make one from scratch, especially since it's just me here right now, but I might try making a carrot cake from a mix, if I knew the mix was a good one.

I am pretty sure it was Betty Crocker. She and I were pals for years whenever I had to bake. It's the forum that broke up our relationship. She must be quite upset. I used the last box cake I had this weekend. It was a chocolate cake. It was nearly a disaster as it sank in the middle but the last piece was eaten today. With the carrot cake from scratch, I don't like to fail so I want to tackle that again. The box carrot cake was heavenly in my opinion.

Ask a Question