All-time Favorite Pastry?

Reaction score
What is the one pastry you could not do without...your most favorite of all pastries???

For me, it's difficult, but it's come down to these two.....
I love them both equally, and I could live without one of them, as long as I had the other....

Cream Horns
images

Napoleons
images

Reaction score
I love Napoleons! Although I've never heard them called that before - here they are known as either Mille-Feuilles or Custard Slices.

I think my favourite pastries are probably croissants. I particularly love almond croissants (they have sweet almond paste running through the middle, and are usually topped with flaked almonds and icing sugar). It's making my mouth water just thinking about them!

I've been thinking about attempting to make some croissants sometime, but they look really tricky and I've never made any puff pastry before. Might be worth the effort though :)

Reaction score
I love Napoleons! Although I've never heard them called that before - here they are known as either Mille-Feuilles or Custard Slices.

I think my favourite pastries are probably croissants. I particularly love almond croissants (they have sweet almond paste running through the middle, and are usually topped with flaked almonds and icing sugar). It's making my mouth water just thinking about them!

I've been thinking about attempting to make some croissants sometime, but they look really tricky and I've never made any puff pastry before. Might be worth the effort though :)

HA HA HA
Yet another difference in American vs European/British names for the same thing.

In watching the Great British Bake Off the past few days, I've finally been able to figure out what the heck a British pudding really is!!!! That baffled me for the longest time!

I love almond paste as well, but for some reason it is expensive over here in the states....even though almonds are pretty cheap! Go figure....

I love French marzipan! OMG that stuff is super nummie!

Reaction score
I've never tried Napoleons :( But most french pastry does it for me, specially pain au chocolat. That one is a complete and absolute favorite. Give me one of those and I am happy! :) I also like the ones filled with ham and cheese, I prefer the way they do it in the Netherlands though, because where I am living now they use cream cheese instead of actual cheese.

Reaction score
In watching the Great British Bake Off the past few days, I've finally been able to figure out what the heck a British pudding really is!!!! That baffled me for the longest time!

Yup! Pudding refers to the sweet course after your main course - it's just another word for dessert. Consequently certain dishes have 'pudding' in their name - for example, bread and butter pudding.

Reaction score
My all time favorite pastry is cherry pie. I do not have it often, so it is always a good treat. I also love cream horns, buthave never tried to make them on my own. TThis is something that I always buy from the bakery.

Reaction score
Yup! Pudding refers to the sweet course after your main course - it's just another word for dessert. Consequently certain dishes have 'pudding' in their name - for example, bread and butter pudding.

Yeah, I finally figured that out! LOL

Most of the time though, from what I've been watching......"pudding" either means "dessert", or it means a stiff cake with fruit mixed in it or in the center of it.

I've had "Spotted Dick" before. Not really something noteworthy to me though. LOL

And correct me if I am wrong, but "saltana's" and "currants" are the same things as what Americans call raisins, right?
Because thats what it looks like to me on the shows I watch.

Reaction score
And correct me if I am wrong, but "saltana's" and "currants" are the same things as what Americans call raisins, right?
Because thats what it looks like to me on the shows I watch.

Nope! Raisins are dried white grapes (they end up dark), sultanas are dried golden-coloured grapes (they end up much paler than raisins, and a bit sweeter), and currants are a different type of dried grape which is very small. Lots of people think they they are dried blackcurrants, but they're not.

I should set a test at the end of the year! :D

Reaction score
Nope! Raisins are dried white grapes (they end up dark), sultanas are dried golden-coloured grapes (they end up much paler than raisins, and a bit sweeter), and currants are a different type of dried grape which is very small. Lots of people think they they are dried blackcurrants, but they're not.

I should set a test at the end of the year! :D

So, basically they are just all different types of raisins.

Yeah, I know there are currants as in raisins, and currants as in the little dried herb/seed.

I've had black currant tea before, which I actually liked a lot.

Reaction score

but it isn't a actual pudding,right Becky ? :)

Reaction score
but it isn't a actual pudding,right Becky ? :)

Nope, it refers to a course not a specific food. In the USA, 'pudding' refers to a chocolate jelly type thing, is that right? Would anything else be called 'pudding' or is it just that?

Just to confuse matters further, I realised we also have savoury dishes here in the UK that are puddings - generally things that involve suet. For example, steak and kidney pudding :D

Reaction score
suet pastry ? do you hang that on trees ? Becky :)

to be honest,Kidney pudding sounds terrible

but i would try some :)

is it like Blood pudding ? another one I've never tried

Ask a Question