Alternative Frosting Ideas for Fruit Pizza

Reaction score
I'm going to be making sugar cookie fruit pizza's next month for my sisters baby shower and I need help with the frosting aspect. I can't use cream cheese like most recipes and I'm not sure what exactly to do. I want to use whipped cream but not by itself. I thought about doing a buttercream but I don't like how my recipe reacts with fruits like strawberries and such. Any ideas?
Thank you!

Reaction score
You say you can't use cream cheese - I'm assuming this is because someone doesn't like cream cheese? Could you use a mascarpone cream cheese? Also, to clarify, do you mean a topping, or a base under the fruit? I'm not all that famiiiar with fruit pizzas but the ones I've seen are a cookie or sweet bread crust, a cream cheese/custard filling underneath the fruit. I imagine you could also use something fruity like lemon curd, orange curd, or even a curd/whipped cream mixture as long as it compliments your fruits?

Reaction score
You say you can't use cream cheese - I'm assuming this is because someone doesn't like cream cheese? Could you use a mascarpone cream cheese? Also, to clarify, do you mean a topping, or a base under the fruit? I'm not all that famiiiar with fruit pizzas but the ones I've seen are a cookie or sweet bread crust, a cream cheese/custard filling underneath the fruit. I imagine you could also use something fruity like lemon curd, orange curd, or even a curd/whipped cream mixture as long as it compliments your fruits?

Apocalypso,
It's going to be a sugar cookie and I want some kind of frosting or spread on before I put the fruit on.
I cannot use cream cheese because I'm lactose intolerant and I do not like using it. Plus I'd like to try one of them.
I like the idea of a whipped cream/ curd mixture. That sounds good.
Thank you!

Reaction score
A "fruit pizza" is just a cookie crust fruit tart shaped like a pizza rather than formed and baked in a tart ring. So any tart filling will work fine with your cookie "pizza" crust.

Buttercream would be tooth-achingly sweet as a filling.

Since you will use whipped cream, I assume dairy isn't the issue, and that its just cream cheese you don't want to use. So the standard tart fillings will work.

Classic pastry cream (the standard for fruit tarts)

Yogurt pastry cream (lighter and better for fruit tarts)

Dairy-free pastry cream

Fruit curd: lemon, passion fruit, mango, lime,

If there's concern about lactose, Green Valley Organics makes lactose free yogurt and cream cheese.

Unripened cheeses like cream cheese, ricotta, and cottage cheese all have 5% or less lactose.

Lactose is concentrated in the whey. Most cheeses and cultured milk products have very little whey. Aged cheese is essentially lactose free as all the lactose disintegrates during the aging process.

Being lactose intolerant myself, I can eat most yogurt. Unripened cheeses, kifer, and sour cream in moderation. But when it comes to milk, I can't drink anything but lactose free.

Reaction score
We always used apricot glaze for all of our fruit tarts when I was working in bakeries.

Also, if you want something "fun" with it, you can get some silicone candy molds, pack them with fruit flavored sherbet and freeze hard. Take them out of the mold and you have a nice little shaped bit to go with the tart.

Or you could use fancy egg cups filled with vanilla bean mousse made with almond milk or tofu milk.

If you want to go vegan and still use some form of "cream", there are tons of different products made with soy/tofu. Target used to sell tofu yogurt, tofu cheese, tofu sour cream, tofu cottage cheese, etc....

Pizza Hut used to make a fruit pizza that was SOOOOO GOOOOD!
It was sourdough thin crust with a thick vanilla custard on it, sliced peaches on top of that, covered with cinnamon sugar and strudel bits for topping. OMG it was SOOOOO GOOOOOD!

Reaction score
A "fruit pizza" is just a cookie crust fruit tart shaped like a pizza rather than formed and baked in a tart ring. So any tart filling will work fine with your cookie "pizza" crust.

Buttercream would be tooth-achingly sweet as a filling.

Since you will use whipped cream, I assume dairy isn't the issue, and that its just cream cheese you don't want to use. So the standard tart fillings will work.

Classic pastry cream (the standard for fruit tarts)

Yogurt pastry cream (lighter and better for fruit tarts)

Dairy-free pastry cream

Fruit curd: lemon, passion fruit, mango, lime,

If there's concern about lactose, Green Valley Organics makes lactose free yogurt and cream cheese.

Unripened cheeses like cream cheese, ricotta, and cottage cheese all have 5% or less lactose.

Lactose is concentrated in the whey. Most cheeses and cultured milk products have very little whey. Aged cheese is essentially lactose free as all the lactose disintegrates during the aging process.

Being lactose intolerant myself, I can eat most yogurt. Unripened cheeses, kifer, and sour cream in moderation. But when it comes to milk, I can't drink anything but lactose free.

The whipped cream I use is actually Dream Whip. I cannot use the regular cool whip. I do on occasion use cocowhip which is delicious. i like the idea of using a pastry cream. I'll have to find s good recipe.
Thank you so much for the great ideas. It's very much appreciated.

Reaction score
We always used apricot glaze for all of our fruit tarts when I was working in bakeries.

Also, if you want something "fun" with it, you can get some silicone candy molds, pack them with fruit flavored sherbet and freeze hard. Take them out of the mold and you have a nice little shaped bit to go with the tart.

Or you could use fancy egg cups filled with vanilla bean mousse made with almond milk or tofu milk.

If you want to go vegan and still use some form of "cream", there are tons of different products made with soy/tofu. Target used to sell tofu yogurt, tofu cheese, tofu sour cream, tofu cottage cheese, etc....

Pizza Hut used to make a fruit pizza that was SOOOOO GOOOOD!
It was sourdough thin crust with a thick vanilla custard on it, sliced peaches on top of that, covered with cinnamon sugar and strudel bits for topping. OMG it was SOOOOO GOOOOOD!

Thank you so much for your ideas. I have used on occasion something like tofutti and although I didn't like the taste of the tofutti cream cheese or sour cream, using them while baking was great. I used to make chocolate peanut butter pies shirt the cream cheese and it always turned out great.
The only place near where I live to get those items went out of business a few months ago. I'm hoping that stores like Meijer and Walmart start carrying more dairy free and lactose free products.
But again thank you for your ideas.
The idea with the silicone molds and sherbet might actually be a good idea for the party punch. My grandma always put orange sherbet in the punch bowl and it was delicious. This idea might make it really cute especially if I can find baby theme or animal theme molds.

Reaction score
The whipped cream I use is actually Dream Whip. I cannot use the regular cool whip. I do on occasion use cocowhip which is delicious. i like the idea of using a pastry cream. I'll have to find s good recipe.
Thank you so much for the great ideas. It's very much appreciated.

I love Dream Whip. That stuff is awesome!
It makes the best choco fudge raspberry cream frosting!!!!

Reaction score
I love Dream Whip. That stuff is awesome!
It makes the best choco fudge raspberry cream frosting!!!!

That choco fudge raspberry cream frosting sounds delicious.
I've made many different things with it. One of my favorites is peanut butter whip. I also made pineapple whip with it. So good. Probably my favorite is the chocolate mousse.

Reaction score
That choco fudge raspberry cream frosting sounds delicious.
I've made many different things with it. One of my favorites is peanut butter whip. I also made pineapple whip with it. So good. Probably my favorite is the chocolate mousse.

Oh man! I forgot you can make mousse with that stuff!!!
Thanks for reminding me!!!!

Reaction score
Oh man! I forgot you can make mousse with that stuff!!!
Thanks for reminding me!!!!

No problem at all. I've made peanut butter mousse, chocolate mousse, caramel mousse. I've not mastered making homemade caramel yet but o use Jello brand caramel instant pudding. It's delicious as a mousse.

Reaction score
So I finally decided how I'm going to make these sugar cookie fruit pizzas.
Yesterday I baked off the sugar cookies and they are packaged up and in the freezer.
I had an idea the other day and loved it. I'm going to set up a 'make your own fruit pizza' table at the baby shower and that will take care of the mess in transport and I just love the idea.
I'll set up a tray of cookies, a bowl of the cheesecake mousse I decided to make for it, and lots of chopped up fruits. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, kiwi. I'm not sure what all fruits I'm using at the moment. I'm also going to make a cute little sign for the table. It'll be cute.

Oh, the cheesecake mousse I make is actually made with cheesecake flavored Jello pudding and Dream whip. It's delicious!

Reaction score
That's a smart idea, people love "top your own" and you're right, transport is always an issue.

I've got a little gathering tomorrow night, only about a mile away. Trying to plan how best to take the baked goods I'm going to take so they don't get messy and I don't have to spend half an hour setting them up when I get there. :)

Ask a Question