Alternative to Baking Sheets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by H.C. Heartland, May 2, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. Heartland Well-Known Member

My husband and I volunteer in third world countries. The country we are in at the moment does not carry a lot of baking sheets. I brought one with me but its in a terrible condition. Very few people here have ovens and the ones who do rarely use it for things like cookies or pizza which what we often use ours for. Does anyone have an alternatives to baking sheets? I know that I can purchase a lot of aluminum material here but I don't think that is safe. If I were to make my own sheet or tray, what materials would be safe to use?

H.C. Heartland, May 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. H.C. Heartland

NThomas Well-Known Member

I know in som countries they cook on ceramic slabs or stonewear. , I am not sure if this would work for sure but it is worht giving it a try..

NThomas, May 2, 2014
    H.C. Heartland likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. H.C. Heartland

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I would say maybe use some slate stone. Some people use this to cook salmon on and it can be found flat so you don't have to worry about shaping it.

Tina Nord, May 4, 2014
  4. H.C. Heartland

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I would say maybe use some slate stone. Some people use this to cook salmon on and it can be found flat so you don't have to worry about shaping it.

Tina Nord, May 4, 2014
    H.C. Heartland likes this.
  5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. Heartland Well-Known Member

Thanks! Do you know if I would have to treat it in anyway before using it? I have the rock quarry just above our home, they take it off the side of the mountain. so it will be very easy to walk up and try and find a flat piece. Thanks for the great idea!

H.C. Heartland, May 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question