Alternatives to corn starch?

Reaction score
I really detest the taste of corn starch. I only use it when I really have no other choice. I can detect it in very small amounts too. I know it is primarily used as a thickener, but are there other options? I would be open to almost anything at this point.

Reaction score
For gravy or soups you can try potato starch. It works about the same I think, but it has a potato taste. It's pretty light in flavor and almost anything will mask it. If you are going to put the gravy on potatoes, or have potatoes in the soup, you already have that flavor in your dish so it will match.

Reaction score
I have never heard of potato starch. Is this something you buy in the store, prefabricated, or is it something you take from potatoes yourself? If you buy it, what is it grouped with? Anything has to be better than corn starch. I have been using fresh potatoes a lot lately, so this would probably be a much better alternative for me.

Reaction score
Have you tried arrowroot powder? Also mixing your cornstarch with the butter or oil in the recipe with make the taste less noticeable.

Reaction score
Not only potato starch, but tapioca flour too will substitute very nicely. I have to go to Vitamin Cottage to get those and boy do I have a ball in there! I love shopping there, but don't usually have enough money to go too too crazy.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of corn starch either and I am going to see if I can find some potato starch. Can't rice flour be used for thickening too? I seem to remember my mom using some sort of flour to thicken her gravy.

Reaction score
I use all purpose flour for thickening most of my soups ;) It doesn't taste so bad... plus, the real trick to not being able to taste it is cooking it well before adding it to the soups. You see, I always heat some butter, add some chopped onion and fry until it's soft... then add the flour. I use a whisk and keep cooking it... moving it constantly. This is done so the flour gets a bit cooked, so your soup doesn't taste like flour. It works.

Ask a Question