Substitute for Amaretto in Almond Bundt Cake

Reaction score
I am baking an Amaretto Almond Bundt cake for a Teachers Appreciation luncheon at my sons school, as the name states there is Amaretto in the cake, it’s only 1/4 cup and cake bakes for about 40 minutes and I know you can’t get drunk off of 1 piece of cake but being that it’s at school, I was wondering if anyone could help with the best substitute for the Amaretto would be. I’ve heard to use Amaretto flavoring or almond extract with water but no idea how much. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA!

Reaction score
Hello, this sounds delicious....
Almond extract is a good substitution for it, but if your going to use it just use a teaspoon only it's very strong.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Kami :)

The longer alcohol is cooked for, the more of it evaporates. After 40 minutes cooking time you'll probably have less than half of the alcohol content, so it's up to you whether you choose to substitute it. If you do substitute it for almond extract, then be sure to make up the rest of the 1/4 cup with liquid (eg water) so that you don't create an imbalance in the recipe. I agree that 1 tsp should be enough, but if you have time then maybe do a trial run to see if it's right. If you have almond meal in the recipe already, you may only need 1/4 or 1/2 tsp.

Reaction score
Thank you ladies!!! I’ll attempt switching out for water and extract. Much rather leave the alcohol in it but it’s for school and I don’t want to get in trouble for bringing alcohol into a school (even as minimal as it would be) and nowadays you can’t be careful enough about what you bring in to schools

Reaction score
Well that's true - better to be safe than sorry. Alcohol can add a bitterness that some may not like, so instead of putting it in the cake maybe just pour yourself some Amaretto while you're cooking ;)

Reaction score
Well that's true - better to be safe than sorry. Alcohol can add a bitterness that some may not like, so instead of putting it in the cake maybe just pour yourself some Amaretto while you're cooking ;)

That is a GREAT idea!!!!

Ask a Question