Amateur Flavor Experimenter

Reaction score
What's up? I'm VashCrow... or Vash if you're into the whole brevity thing. I'm an amateur baker (I just do it for fun) and I like to experiment with flavoring. I started with soda pop cakes... they weren't bad, but they weren't as good as expected. Recently, I started baking with emulsions and gelatin. Today, I tried something new... a fruit punch/orange swirl cake with whipped vanilla frosting. I must say, even though I am biased, it came out quite good. However, next time, I'll probably add coconut to the frosting or add toasted coconut to the top of it.

Anyway, I was rambling there. I know this is supposed to be an introduction... sorry. About me, I just celebrated my 21st anniversary with my wife, my son just turned 18, my daughters are both about to turn 20, and my grandson will be 2 in January. I work for Kuusakoski Recycling where I dismantle different kinds of electronics (mostly computer server cabinets). I love music to no end... everything from jazz, classical, alternative, heavy metal, R & B, rap, etc... just not country lol. Also, anime. Yeah, I'm that guy. Every Sunday morning, you can find me watching the newest Japanese episode of Dragon Ball with a coffee.

So, that's that. I'm glad to be here and hope to hear any input from people interested in my "experimentations".

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_200852.jpg
    IMG_20171215_200852.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 389
Reaction score
Welcome! What a nice introduction. Sounds like you are really having fun making up cake flavors!

Since you mention liking anime, I am wondering whether you've looked at Japanese baked goods and tried your hand at those. I am a big fan of the super-light cake rolls to be found at the local Asian bakery, which is more of a Chinese/Vietnamese bakery. But in searching out Asian cake recipes, I stumbled upon the "Tokyo Banana," a banana custard-filled cake roll. If you search YouTube you'll find a couple of recipes/videos. I keep saying I'm going to make them and still haven't.

Reaction score
I've not tried baking any Japanese desserts, but that is mostly because it intimidates me. They are so intricate with some of their stuff and I don't really have any experience with most of their ingredients. However, the one you mentioned above sounds easy enough for the most part. It DOES sound good as well.

Reaction score
Another one I want to make is a Japanese cotton cheesecake. It's a baked cheesecake, made with separated eggs and the whites are beaten to stiff peaks and folded in, giving the cheesecake a light spongy "cottony" texture.

Reaction score
Welcome @VashCrow ! That cake looks delicious! I haven't quite tackled fruit flavored cakes before. What did you use for the fruit?

Ask a Question