Amateur turn Pro

Reaction score
Hoping to get help and tips before i start my bakery in what i hope will be under 10 years. current problem: why does my food coloring run out of my icing after so long? i recently switched to food gel.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :) I don't think I've ever had food colouring run out of icing before... do you mean it completely separates and runs out? Which type of icing are we talking about? The best kind of food colouring to use is the paste - you only need a very small amount because it's really intense.

Reaction score
Oh right.. .i forgot there's different types of icing. Buttercream. And I don't really have a recipe I just mix it until it has a good consistency. And it's the food gel I'm having a problem with. The icing stays on the cake but the food gel runs out. I wonder if maybe the butter is reacting funny with it?

Reaction score
Oh right.. .i forgot there's different types of icing. Buttercream. And I don't really have a recipe I just mix it until it has a good consistency. And it's the food gel I'm having a problem with. The icing stays on the cake but the food gel runs out. I wonder if maybe the butter is reacting funny with it?

Hmmm I'm not sure. If you're not using a recipe it's hard to pinpoint the problem. If it is splitting then it might suggest that your proportion of butter is too high. Or maybe you're overbeating the butter and it's separating. If you're using food paste (as in the stuff you put in using a cocktail stick) then there won't be an awful lot there, which might indicate that it is dying a portion of the buttercream which is then running out. Do you have any photos of the problem?

Ask a Question