How to prevent quick spoilage of baked goods?

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here and i have an important question. I'm from Argentina, I have a bakery here with my family. We have had it since 3 year ago. We are so happy with this bussines. But, we have a problem and we aren't able to solve it. We make a lot of products, we call them as "prepizzas" which are pre-cooked pizzas. Also, we make burgers bread, and hot dogs bread, etc. So, the problem with these products is that they spoil very quickly despite we use the appropiate peservative. We make a product today, and in three days it spoils. We have a lot of care making them, but it spoils anyway. We use bread food for some products and all-purpose flour (or pastry flour) for another ones. Do someone has any ideas for what we can do for solve it?

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here and i have an important question. I'm from Argentina, I have a bakery here with my family. We have had it since 3 year ago. We are so happy with this bussines. But, we have a problem and we aren't able to solve it. We make a lot of products, we call them as "prepizzas" which are pre-cooked pizzas. Also, we make burgers bread, and hot dogs bread, etc. So, the problem with these products is that they spoil very quickly despite we use the appropiate peservative. We make a product today, and in three days it spoils. We have a lot of care making them, but it spoils anyway. We use bread food for some products and all-purpose flour (or pastry flour) for another ones. Do someone has any ideas for what we can do for solve it?

Three days is actually a long time for a pre-made pizza. I think the only way you’re going to extend the shelf life is freezing.

For the bread, really depends on the type of spoilage. If you have a mold problem, then you have to assume mold spores are contaminating the bread after baking. So you have to look at the various ways to prevent airborne contamination. Whether that is sanitation in the bakery, packaging of your product, pH levels and/or controlling the moisture content in your product.

If by spoilage you mean staling (moisture loss in the product) that’s emulsifiers, enzymes, gums (hydrocolloids). It really depends on the issue.

You should probably look for a competent bakery consultant, someone who can help you identify the specific problems, and advise you on appropriate solutions.

Reaction score
Three days is actually a long time for a pre-made pizza. I think the only way you’re going to extend the shelf life is freezing.

For the bread, really depends on the type of spoilage. If you have a mold problem, then you have to assume mold spores are contaminating the bread after baking. So you have to look at the various ways to prevent airborne contamination. Whether that is sanitation in the bakery, packaging of your product, pH levels and/or controlling the moisture content in your product.

If by spoilage you mean staling (moisture loss in the product) that’s emulsifiers, enzymes, gums (hydrocolloids). It really depends on the issue.

You should probably look for a competent bakery consultant, someone who can help you identify the specific problems, and advise you on appropriate solutions.
In Argentina It's normal that product like these to last more than three weeks.

We can't freeze these products because people (our costumers) put the products on their shelves to exhibit it. It has to be able to be seen by their costumers.

Our products have excess moisture. The type of spoilage that we have is for mold.

Reaction score
In Argentina It's normal that product like these to last more than three weeks.

We can't freeze these products because people (our costumers) put the products on their shelves to exhibit it. It has to be able to be seen by their costumers.

Our products have excess moisture. The type of spoilage that we have is for mold.

honestly I’ve never heard of a pre-cooked pizza keeping for three weeks w/o freezing. If that is the case you need seek a bakery consultant in your country to find out what kind of preservatives and packaging they are using to achieve that kind of shelflife.

A pizza with toppings has moisture. Moisture is the death of all food. Where there is moisture, the bacteria is going to grow.

Reaction score
Hi there and congrats on being open three years! Moisture huh. Well first thing first, make sure your recipe for your breads is not to hydrated. Besides if you make a baguette you should not exceed 60-65% liquid in your dough. Let the bread cook. Rack steam oven with single rack of 20 sheet pans should be baking for 18-22 minutes. Steam shouldn’t be longer than 15 seconds. What is your ratio on salt and yeast? Dont bag the bread warm. If the breads are molding after three days, even in Argentina, it is not normal. If you par bake your dough, it needs to go in a blast freezer then stored in an freezer.

Ask a Question