Another newbie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Emily. I taught myself to cook and bake. I've taken a few decorating classes and watch videos to learn as well. I stumbled across this group after looking up "baking slump". I'm a pretty decent baker and very creative. I had a baby last year. While I didn't stop baking I dramatically decreased baking after I had my babe. Everything I have been baking is not up to my standards...and some times just not up to standards. I'm hoping to get some inspiration and solid recipes! I'm baking my LO first birthday cake in two weeks and my testers have been horrrrible (dry then dry around edges and uncooked in center-that one made me say huh). ETA spelling

Reaction score
Hello! Glad you found us. Hope you stick around a while.
:)

Are you making cakes from scratch or are you using boxed cake mixes?

Personally, from your description of the cake, you have your oven too hot. If you have a gas oven those do tend to get hotter and cook faster. If you have an electric oven, then I'd say just you might have a faulty oven or it's over heating.

In either case, try turning the heat down. If you are baking at 350 degrees, as is standard, try 320.
If you still get the same results, try 300 degrees. If you are still having issues, then it may be the recipe, if you are doing it from scratch.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Emily. I taught myself to cook and bake. I've taken a few decorating classes and watch videos to learn as well. I stumbled across this group after looking up "baking slump". I'm a pretty decent baker and very creative. I had a baby last year. While I didn't stop baking I dramatically decreased baking after I had my babe. Everything I have been baking is not up to my standards...and some times just not up to standards. I'm hoping to get some inspiration and solid recipes! I'm baking my LO first birthday cake in two weeks and my testers have been horrrrible (dry then dry around edges and uncooked in center-that one made me say huh). ETA spelling

Hi! I have two young children myself, including a 17 month old! I know what you mean. I've recently learned to find time for my hobbies and I'm glad you're doing so, too! It's so important!

Welcome

Reaction score

Personally, from your description of the cake, you have your oven too hot. If you have a gas oven those do tend to get hotter and cook faster. If you have an electric oven, then I'd say just you might have a faulty oven or it's over heating.

In either case, try turning the heat down. If you are baking at 350 degrees, as is standard, try 320.
If you still get the same results, try 300 degrees. If you are still having issues, then it may be the recipe, if you are doing it from scratch.

Thank you! We just got a new electric oven (gas wouldn't work with our space). It's also my first time ever baking with convection as well. I have burnt many a things cook top as well, so maybe it's just going to take some getting used to. I was also going to get an oven thermometer to make sure it was on the correct setting. I toothpick tested and even scooped a little out of the center and it appeared cooked. Any suggestions for checking doneness in a pound cake? It is a scratch cake cooked at 325.

Reaction score
Thank you! We just got a new electric oven (gas wouldn't work with our space). It's also my first time ever baking with convection as well. I have burnt many a things cook top as well, so maybe it's just going to take some getting used to. I was also going to get an oven thermometer to make sure it was on the correct setting. I toothpick tested and even scooped a little out of the center and it appeared cooked. Any suggestions for checking doneness in a pound cake? It is a scratch cake cooked at 325.

AH!
So you have the opposite oven problem......you are breaking one in!!! LOL

And convection as well?

Hmmmmm. I think yes, maybe until it's been used for about a year or so, you might need to turn down the heat.

Getting a thermometer might help you with a new oven. Once in a while things don't get put together the way they are supposed too, so maybe it is baking/cooking at a higher temperature than it says it is. If this is the case, then it should still be under warranty.

If there is nothing wrong with the appliance, then it probably just needs breaking in time.

As for checking pound cake..........I've always done it the old fashioned way..........when the top cracks open, its done. Although, "doneness" for a pound cake is dependent on your preference to how "done" it is. Some people like very well done pound cake, some like it a bit like brownies...sort of soft and a tiny bit on the "gooey" side, while others will eat it any way they can get it (me)! LOL

Another old fashioned method I use on cakes of all kinds, is the wooden toothpick. I get a big box of wooden toothpicks from the dollar store and keep a container of them.

When the cake is near it's done time, stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, as far as you can without losing it in there. Pull it out. If it's dry, the cake is done, and more than likely will be a bit dry once it cools off. If the toothpick has some bits stuck to it, then pull out the cake...by the time it cools off, it should be just right. If you like your cake more moist, then when cakey bits are stuck to the toothpick, but not gooey batter, then pull out the cake and let it cool. And of course, if there is batter stuck to the toothpick, then I usually turn the oven off and leave the cake in there a few more minutes. I turn it off, in case I forget the time.....and I don't end up with burnt cake, but maybe dry cake. I can fix dry cake, but not burnt cake.

Hope that helps.
:D

Reaction score
AH!
So you have the opposite oven problem......you are breaking one in!!! LOL

And convection as well?

Hmmmmm. I think yes, maybe until it's been used for about a year or so, you might need to turn down the heat.

Getting a thermometer might help you with a new oven. Once in a while things don't get put together the way they are supposed too, so maybe it is baking/cooking at a higher temperature than it says it is. If this is the case, then it should still be under warranty.

If there is nothing wrong with the appliance, then it probably just needs breaking in time.

As for checking pound cake..........I've always done it the old fashioned way..........when the top cracks open, its done. Although, "doneness" for a pound cake is dependent on your preference to how "done" it is. Some people like very well done pound cake, some like it a bit like brownies...sort of soft and a tiny bit on the "gooey" side, while others will eat it any way they can get it (me)! LOL

Another old fashioned method I use on cakes of all kinds, is the wooden toothpick. I get a big box of wooden toothpicks from the dollar store and keep a container of them.

When the cake is near it's done time, stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, as far as you can without losing it in there. Pull it out. If it's dry, the cake is done, and more than likely will be a bit dry once it cools off. If the toothpick has some bits stuck to it, then pull out the cake...by the time it cools off, it should be just right. If you like your cake more moist, then when cakey bits are stuck to the toothpick, but not gooey batter, then pull out the cake and let it cool. And of course, if there is batter stuck to the toothpick, then I usually turn the oven off and leave the cake in there a few more minutes. I turn it off, in case I forget the time.....and I don't end up with burnt cake, but maybe dry cake. I can fix dry cake, but not burnt cake.

Hope that helps.
:D

Yes, convection. We of course didn't get the extended warranty but I have a friend that works on appliances. I didn't know there was breaking in for a new oven! I thought I lost my mojo!! I'll bake her cakes and do it at a lower setting, maybe 300, on convection and report back in two weeks!!

Ask a Question