Any good thumb print cookie suggestions?

Reaction score
I remember as a child that my favorite cookie had a dusting of some sort of nuts and either jelly or jam in the center. I have never been able to recreate these cookies and wonder if anyone heard of them and knows how to make a killer batch!

Reaction score
I've only made thumbprint cookies once, but I wasn't too happy with the recipe. It was an egg free recipe with sultanas and tasted a bit bland. That being said, it called for half a toffee to be placed in the thumbprint which was amazing! They melted in the oven and so there was a really gooey core. Here's a pic:

egg free toffee cookies.JPG

Reaction score
This is very close to the recipe that my mom and her side of the family always made for the holidays:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/jam-thumbprint-cookies-recipe/index.html

It's important to not skip the chilling period, in fact, I would go at least an hour if not longer. You can make the dough in advance or overnight if need be. Also, make sure the oven is preheated all the way up to temperature before putting the cookies in. There is no need to grease the cookie sheet either since there is plenty of butter in the cookies. You want the cookie dough to stay as chilled as possible (so work quickly when rolling them out on to the baking sheets) before you put the cookies into the oven, so the cookies don't spread out too much and go all flat when they are baking, losing their shape.

I've not tried these yet, but I've also seen some recipes for "savory" thumbprint cookies too. Might be kind of interesting for something like a brunch, or to go along with some glasses of wine...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/SavoryCheddarCookies.htm

Ask a Question