Any great baby friendly recipes?

Reaction score
I have a one year old daughter who adores chocolate cake! :rolleyes: I'd like to bake some other slightly more healthy options for her but they'd have to be as enticing as the chocolate or I know where they're going to end up...(she's in a chucking on the floor stage!)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Reaction score
When it comes to sneaking healthy alternatives into kids (or adults!) I like to just stick to the original recipe and modify it. I substitute either all or half the flower for whole wheat and add flaxseed (tasteless and very high in fiber and omega 3). Flaxseed will give things a "chocolate" tint, so your daughter would not notice this in a chocolate cake. Try substituting some of the sugar for a nutritious alternative like raw honey (be aware that kids under a certain age should not eat honey though! I think its one). Use coco powder and not chocolate chips for the flavor. All of a sudden your daughter can have her cake and its almost a little nutritious mini meal.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I must go buy some flaxseed so! Can it be bought in a regular supermarket or is it something that's found in health stores? I often swop the flour like you suggested and she doesn't seem to mind. Thanks for the tips!

Reaction score
I always hear people talking about making cakes with applesauce instead of oil or sneaking veggies into brownies. Pureed veggies apparently hide well in sweets. You can also use baby food rather than applesauce, so you can try getting more fruits and veggies (as well as less salt and sugar) in that way.

Reaction score
I think I already have posted about the potato yema. Anyway, it is a boiled potato that you will mix with condensed milk, sugar and egg yolk. Bake it in 300 degrees C for 30 minutes or more until the color turns to brownish. If you want it well done then wait until the color turns dark brown. It is soft and creamy so I'm sure your baby will like it because toddlers here love that potato yema.

Ask a Question