Any ideas for Valentine's Day?

Reaction score
Hello, im not sure if this belongs here since I just joined so if this is considered spam: im sorry.

So, let me explain the situation: years ago, I made some heart-shaped biscuits (with my mother's help) on Valentine's Day for my friends, and they all loved it and I think it made them really happy. This year, two of my friends are really depressed, so im thinking about doing the same for them. The problem is, this time I don't have my mother to help me and I don't really know what to do, so here's when I ask you guys for help.

I need an idea for a recipe which could be done by an unexperienced baker like me, that doesn't require cookware that is hard to find (I have the basic things in my kitchen but since my father doesn't really bake he doesn't have things like blenders and such).

Also I need something that can be eaten the next day after you prepare it, since I plan to bring it to school. And since im talking about that, I need something I can stuff into my backpack without being ruined (I mean, I can cover it with something but you get what I mean)

I hope someone is able to help me before the day comes!

English isn't my first language so if there's something weird in my text just ignore it or correct it nicely to help me improve :) thanks

Reaction score
As English is your second language I’m not sure if you’re in the US. So I’m not sure if these products are readily available to you. But the types of recipes below are as simple as it gets with out any special equipment and ingredients

Valentine hearts rice crispy treats. The only special equipment needed is a heart shaped cookie cutter

http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/diy-wedding-favors-rice-krispies-treat-hearts/

Valentine party mix

http://www.glorioustreats.com/2013/01/valentines-snack-mix.html

Valentine heart cookies made with Pillsbury sugar cookie dough

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/s...-cookies/7a40dfa1-dd20-455f-80f2-05308ccf8b47

Icing recipe to decorate cookies.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/perfect-royal-icing-recipe.html

Video on how to decorate a cookie with pastry bag and tip. Decorating tip is about two dollars at a craft stores in US. You can use a Ziploc bag instead of a pastry bag.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/decorating-cookies-with-royal-icing-tutorial.html

Decorating cookies using a Ziploc bag without a decorating tip.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sugar cookies were the first thing I thought of because they are quite durable, but rice crispie treats are also a great idea (and who doesn't love them?!). Alternatively, you could make little cupcakes and decorate them with iced hearts - if you are really unsure about baking then perhaps use a cake mix, they're a good way to get started. You would have to be a bit more careful with them in your bag, but if you were able to pack them in a box and keep it upright they should be ok.

I'm sure that whatever you make, your friends will be so happy with the thoughtful gift.

Reaction score
I would also say sugar cookies or a shortbread cookie of some kind. You can put red sprinkles on them before baking, or use some colored royal icing on them.

You really dont even need a cookie cutter or rolling pin. Just make all even sized balls of dough, then press them in your hands till you get the desired thickness you want, and then shape them manually.

I would think Snickerdoodles decorated with red sugar crystals and cinnamon would be awesome.

If you have a heart shaped cutter and a rolling pin, then you can also make something as simple as chocolate chip cookies in heart shapes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else thats easy to make, are cookie balls. You use a sugar cookie or shortbread cookie dough recipe.

Get a bag of Hershey Kisses or some other small chocolate candy like that.

1. Flatten out a piece of cookie dough, about the size of your palm. Make the dough about 1/8 of an inch thick.

2.Place the chocolate in the middle of the flattened out dough and then fold up the dough around the chocolate. Roll the dough in your hands until its a small ball and the chocolate is completely covered. You don't want any cracks or openings as the chocolate will melt out when baked.

3. Before baking, roll the balls in colored sugar or colored sprinkles.

4. Place the balls on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the dough starts to turn golden brown. Take them out to cool.

If you don't want to roll them in sugar or sprinkles, you can bake them plain, and then dip them in a royal icing that will harden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was thinking, since you have the cutters, does your local market sell already-made puff pastry dough? Here in the US, we can get it in the frozen section. You could cut hearts out of the thawed pastry, and either fill with a fruit filling (like raspberry jam, or guava paste, etc.) and close them up and bake them stuffed, or bake them in individual hearts, then make sandwich pastries out of them by putting a filing in the middle after they are cooled.

By the way, when friends are depressed, the best gift you can give them is your time - time to talk, find things to laugh together about, make plans for the near future. Maybe they are just sad about Valentine's Day if they don't have a partner, or maybe it's something more serious. For me, having friends and some fun plans to look forward to in the future, and talking about those plans, tends to get me out of a sad moment. You're very kind to help them.

Reaction score
Hello, im not sure if this belongs here since I just joined so if this is considered spam: im sorry.

So, let me explain the situation: years ago, I made some heart-shaped biscuits (with my mother's help) on Valentine's Day for my friends, and they all loved it and I think it made them really happy. This year, two of my friends are really depressed, so im thinking about doing the same for them. The problem is, this time I don't have my mother to help me and I don't really know what to do, so here's when I ask you guys for help.

I need an idea for a recipe which could be done by an unexperienced baker like me, that doesn't require cookware that is hard to find (I have the basic things in my kitchen but since my father doesn't really bake he doesn't have things like blenders and such).

Also I need something that can be eaten the next day after you prepare it, since I plan to bring it to school. And since im talking about that, I need something I can stuff into my backpack without being ruined (I mean, I can cover it with something but you get what I mean)

I hope someone is able to help me before the day comes!

English isn't my first language so if there's something weird in my text just ignore it or correct it nicely to help me improve :) thanks
I have no idea about

Ask a Question