Any substitutions you use for economic or health reasons?

Reaction score
Love using "real butter" but have used cheaper margarine and can sort of get away with it. I wonder if you have any suggestions or experience with substitutes. I am also curious for example about artificial sweeteners, or use of extract versus real vanilla.

Reaction score
I've tried looking into making butter homemade, and while it's not very hard to do, it's also not really cost effective either since the amount of cream needed to make a small amount of butter will often cost you more than just buying the butter yourself. I will often find good deals on it at some of our discount grocery stores, though, so it's usually not too big of an issue. If you know you might be needing a large amount of it for a party or another event, check your local restaurant supply stores, you can often get a much better deal on the larger quantity from them.

Reaction score
Artificial sweeteners scare me - to be honest!!! I know plenty of people use them. But, I don't like to. Splenda for instance tastes almost too sweet. That is my opinion anyway. I guess I would rather just have to real thing in there.

I also would prefer to use butter instead of margarine. It makes me uneasy to think about what is actually in margarine. My daughter has health issues already and I have a condition that could potentially be made worse by using things that are artificial. So, for those reasons I try to stay away from margarine and artificial sweeteners.

I think that the margarine melts and cooks differently than butter. And, maybe it is just me, but I think it tastes different. And, this could just be a show of my cooking/baking skills - but my cookies seem to turn our better if I use butter (meaning that I'm not skilled enough to compensate if I needed to!!! LOL). Hmmmmm! :)

Reaction score
Artificial sweeteners scare me - to be honest!!! I know plenty of people use them. But, I don't like to. Splenda for instance tastes almost too sweet. That is my opinion anyway. I guess I would rather just have to real thing in there.

I also would prefer to use butter instead of margarine. It makes me uneasy to think about what is actually in margarine. My daughter has health issues already and I have a condition that could potentially be made worse by using things that are artificial. So, for those reasons I try to stay away from margarine and artificial sweeteners.

I think that the margarine melts and cooks differently than butter. And, maybe it is just me, but I think it tastes different. And, this could just be a show of my cooking/baking skills - but my cookies seem to turn our better if I use butter (meaning that I'm not skilled enough to compensate if I needed to!!! LOL). Hmmmmm! :)
Well I love, love, love buttery (real butter) cookies and pastries and some friends have sort of turned me on to the "non GMO" spreads. Maybe those could work for you. I remember when I first heard the "genetically modified" concept it sounded more like chemistry than cooking!

Ask a Question