anybody work in a bakery?

Yok

Reaction score
hi guys,
I was just wondering if anybody worked in a bakery? i've been working in Tesco on night shift for 12 years, and the time has come where i need to change badly....so i applied to a bakery chain when i saw something come up, as it would be great doing something for work, that i do as a hobby....

so just wondering, as i got invited to an interview, what can i expect to be asked, and do u think it would be good to show off pics of my bakes, as a sort of 'i may have no experience professionally, but look i do know what i am doing'

Reaction score
I worked in a bakery for some years here in the USA. If you are going for a cake decorator job, yes, it would be good to have photos. If you are just wanting to be a general baker, then I dont think you really need photos, unless you have some really good looking breads, pies, cakes that you've done.

Reaction score
I would probably be the worst bakery worker out there, at least to start and before I really started to learn my way around things. I am just traditionally not the biggest sweet tooth, so it would not be a great place for me. I do have those things that I love, but when it comes to breadth there is not much.

Reaction score
I have have, but if there is such a thing as reincarnation, I would like to work in the neighborhood bakery near where I grew up. Back there, there is a bakery on every block, and each one pretty much specializes in a different type of product. The one I loved best was a Swedish bakery and they had the best breads, cookies, etc., but my favorite of all was their cakes. People would come for miles around for their cakes, and I'd often bring them in to the office when people had birthdays.

Another favorite was about 10 minutes from that one, and it specialized in Italian desserts and Italian cookies. We'd always go there at Christmas and stock up on goodies for our visitors. That would be my 2nd choice of bakeries to work at, although there were plenty of others, as well. I still love baker's twine and I use it in jewelry making. I think of that bakery every time I use it.

Reaction score
http://www.slideshare.net/lallesamantha24/top-10-bakery-interview-questions-with-answers
I have never worked in a bakery and likely won't at my age. It would have to be my own or a friends where I do it for the fun of it. I also have not been interviewed in more than 30 years or so so I can't say I know what to expect there. As someone who has done a few interviews I would suggest that you be yourself although you can never know for sure what people are looking for. You will be fine I suspect. I just randomly picked this link from the net but whatever happens don't overthink things.
http://www.slideshare.net/lallesamantha24/top-10-bakery-interview-questions-with-answers

Reaction score
I worked in one as a cashier the last year because I was in need of a job and there was one close to my house, itwas not the best job ever, but I got some money for the sweets.

Yok

Reaction score
i didn't get the job, but i'm not too bothered actually....it was night shift, which i have done for 15 years....but the days off were split, which is no good if you work nights, as the first day is a write off pulling yourself round

Reaction score
Too bad.

When I was at the last job I had at a bakery, I talked my boss into letting me work 3am to noon. I was able to get a lot of work done without distractions that way. Loved working by myself until about 7am.

Would have liked to have stayed, but I wanted to go into management and they refused, so I just left. Even changed careers.

Reaction score
i didn't get the job, but i'm not too bothered actually....it was night shift, which i have done for 15 years....but the days off were split, which is no good if you work nights, as the first day is a write off pulling yourself round

If you're still interested in working at a bakery, you could use this time to pull together a portfolio of sorts, with your past creations, and maybe look to see which areas you could fill out with new creations. It would seem that some would probably be hiring for the holiday season, since they're (at least where I've lived) even busier than usual around the holidays.

Ask a Question