Apples are Coming

Reaction score
I love apple picking season. I used to take my kids to a farm nearby and we would go out to the orchard and pick the apples. Then we would go through their store to pay for them (nice marketing strategy) and there would be pies, bread, cakes, and other assorted goodies. I always wanted to buy their recipe book but never ended up doing it.

What sorts of things do you like to make with apples?

Reaction score
I am finally growing my own apples! (Sort of.) I finally got a couple of dwarf apple trees earlier this year, the smallest I could find, and though they're still too young to bear a full crop of fruit the lady who sold them to me said it was ok to let one apple grow. So, that's exactly what I'm doing. I check on it regularly and wonder what it will taste like. :) It's a Caville Blanc, noted for making the best apple tarts and pies in the world, and someday the tree will supply my sister's honey apple pies.

Reaction score
The place I usually go is about the same for apple picking season. (through the store to cash out) I love to buy a few apple cider doughnuts, coated in cinnamon and sugar, as a treat when we leave. (I try to avoid other purchases!) When we pick apples I usually use those for eating out-of-hand. We also have three (very overgrown "dwarf") apple trees in our backyard. From those apples I make as much applesauce as apples, time and energy allow. I'm really looking forward to my time for that this year; last year's super dry/hot spring made for ZERO apples from our own trees.

Reaction score
I love apples and like to eat them right off the tree. I used to make my own applesauce, years ago but I don't have the space anymore to store it. Apple pies and apple crisp are my two favorite recipes. I look forward to apple picking season for the fruit but not too keen on the fact that winter is usually not far around the corner..lol

Reaction score
Apples are great! I love making apple pie especially. I don't have a tree so I just use the apples from the grocery store generally, but sometimes I'll go to our local apple farm where they let you pick your own.

Reaction score
Oh wonderful apples. I would so love to go to the mountains this season and pick some apples from the farms. I think I will have to settle for the farmers market instead. I enjoy making apple sauce, apple pies, apple cakes, apple muffins, glazed pork chops with apples and honey mustard.... oh the many many recipes!

Reaction score
The place I usually go is about the same for apple picking season. (through the store to cash out) I love to buy a few apple cider doughnuts, coated in cinnamon and sugar, as a treat when we leave. (I try to avoid other purchases!) When we pick apples I usually use those for eating out-of-hand. We also have three (very overgrown "dwarf") apple trees in our backyard. From those apples I make as much applesauce as apples, time and energy allow. I'm really looking forward to my time for that this year; last year's super dry/hot spring made for ZERO apples from our own trees.

That sounds like the place we go to as well. It is in Peabody, MA. Love those apple cider donuts!

Reaction score
Snagged an apple off the tree today while I was mowing. It was a bit tart still, but oh, the snap of it as I bit into it. I go most of the summer without eating apples because they just aren't as good after having been in storage that long. We have apples everywhere out there now! I'll have to collect the drops during the chillier parts of the day, though, since the bees are as happy for the crop as I am!

Reaction score
I love apples! Especially when you combine them with lots of spices and brown sugar - that really reminds me of autumn and winter. I haven't done much baking with apples apart from apple crumble, but that's lovely and so easy to make.

Reaction score
Snagged an apple off the tree today while I was mowing. It was a bit tart still, but oh, the snap of it as I bit into it.

I love that snap! I think the Fuji ones are the crispier of all but I guess it depends on whether they are in season or not.

Reaction score
What about the simple baked apple? I once was over a friend who "did not cook" and said I wish there was some desert here. I grabbed a few apples put them in the oven, served in a bowl with a bit of cream and a splash (small) of rum, sprinkled on some cinnamon. She loved it and said she had never had one.:p

Reaction score
Some of my friends were headed off to a local apple farm today. I'm totally jealous, but it didn't fit into my schedule. So thankful that I've been able to make two batches of applesauce from our own trees! I WILL plan a trip to an apple farm soon. I get kind of deliriously happy when I think of all that happens in the fall!!

I also think I need to make an apple or applesauce cake soon. I LOVE the dense, moist texture of them!!

Reaction score
My fall back is always the classic Apple Crisp- it has a special place in my heart! The oatmeal, the spices, the crumble.... just delish!

Ask a Question