Applesauce ideas!

Reaction score
I just turned my excessive amount of apples into delicious applesauce, and now I'm wondering what to do with it.
Does anyone have any delicious recipes that call for applesauce?
My boyfriend thinks I should have made a pie... but I want to try something different!

Reaction score
I saw a recipe online for a breakfast made in the crockpot, and it was using apples and oatmeal, mixed with spices, and left to slow cook over night. It looked delicious, and I am thinking that you could do about the same thing with your extra applesauce.
Since the recipe was for a whole family sized breakfast, I decided to try making it in a single serving in the microwave, and it works perfect !
I just cut up an apple, add about a third of a cup of oatmeal, brown sugar, spices, and cover with water, stir, and cook for 3 minutes, and then let it sit to cool a little. It makes a wonderful evening snack, and is wholesome food as well.
I sometimes add raisins or craisins into it , which gives it a different flavor, and is also delicious.

Reaction score
Oh that sounds delicious, and healthy! Thanks HappyFlowerlady!
I read about a quick dessert made by sprinkling crumbled biscuits on top and serving with vanilla ice cream, and I'm tempted to give that a try too!

Reaction score
You can substitute the applesauce in place of the oil in your cake recipes. It is very heart healthy and the cake still turns out moist. I have done this a few times.

Reaction score
I have seen alot of advice lately on substituting applesauce for oil in some recipes like brownies, cookies, cakes, to give them a bit of a healthier twist and a tweak on the flavor. It is an idea I am going to be trying very soon myself just to see how it works and if there is drastic taste changes to the recipe. It is at the very least a most intriguing idea and appeals to me now that I am older and a tad more health conscious.

Reaction score
Apples are a pretty sweet fruit, so you can use applesauce to reduce both sugar and oil in your recipes. I really like the texture applesauce gives to baked goods. I had a recipe for chocolate mini muffins that used applesauce and they were really good. I'll have to dig it out for you.

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about applesauce recently and I have to confess it's not in my cupboard as yet. I have read that it's being used as a substitute for oil and butter I think. Where the oil is concerned I am happy to try it. I'm honestly no fan of oil in my baking especially when it calls for a great amount.

Reaction score
You can use apple sauce for everything!!!!! You can oil with apple sauce, add it to desserts to make them sweeter without using so much sugar and so on. My in laws love to eat it on its own :) I wish I had apple sauce right now, so I'd try a really neat mug cake recipe I found some weeks ago.

If nyone needs helps on what to make with apple sauce, then check Pinterest. A lot neat ideas there.

Reaction score
The main things I use applesauce in are cakes and muffins, and like some others have said, you can use it in place of oil in a lot of recipes as a healthier touch.

There's a particular muffin I like to make, it's a pretty healthy recipe too, they're oat and applesauce muffins. Cinnamon + apples + oats in muffin form is a match made in heaven if you ask me!

Reaction score
That sounds quite nice :) I might give it a try one day, I'm trying to help my fiance to eat healthier so this might be the way. How much sugar do you use for this? I'd like mine to be sugar free, no idea if that is possible.

Reaction score
That's funny-I just posted a question yesterday about finding fun variations on applesauce muffins. As described above in a few comments, applesauce (I think it needs to be unsweetened, however), is a great sub for oil in baked goods...muffins, cakes, etc.
This is a recipe I was thinking of trying...
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/applesauce-spice-muffins-108784

I've heard many times about substituting applesauce for oil in recipes, but I had no idea it had to be sugar-free. That's disappointing, as I've never even had sugar-free applesauce, let alone made it :(.

Ask a Question