Apply "glaze" in or out of bundt pan

Reaction score
If a cake recipe comes with the following instructions, do you think the glaze should be applied with the cake is still in the bundt pan? Look a the glaze recipe. That's a lot of stuff to try to make a cake soak up if you just pour it over the cake once it's out of the pan. What do you think?
  1. Grease and flour a Bundt pan or a10 x 4” tube pan.
  2. Crumble nuts in bottom of pan.
  3. In large mixing bowl put cake and pudding mixes.
  4. Add rum, water, oil, and eggs.
  5. Mix for two minutes.
  6. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes.
  7. Remove cake and pour on hot rum glaze. Don’t be alarmed when the glaze seems to affect the cakes height. It is helping the cake to settle.

The Glaze recipe:
    • 1 cup sugar
    • One stick butter
    • 1⁄4 cup light rum
    • 1⁄4 cup water

Yes, I know this is all about using a cake mix, but it's for serving to young men in large quantities in the military, so we're not doing scratch cakes in volume.

Reaction score
If a cake recipe comes with the following instructions, do you think the glaze should be applied with the cake is still in the bundt pan? Look a the glaze recipe. That's a lot of stuff to try to make a cake soak up if you just pour it over the cake once it's out of the pan. What do you think?
  1. Grease and flour a Bundt pan or a10 x 4” tube pan.
  2. Crumble nuts in bottom of pan.
  3. In large mixing bowl put cake and pudding mixes.
  4. Add rum, water, oil, and eggs.
  5. Mix for two minutes.
  6. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes.
  7. Remove cake and pour on hot rum glaze. Don’t be alarmed when the glaze seems to affect the cakes height. It is helping the cake to settle.

The Glaze recipe:
    • 1 cup sugar
    • One stick butter
    • 1⁄4 cup light rum
    • 1⁄4 cup water

Yes, I know this is all about using a cake mix, but it's for serving to young men in large quantities in the military, so we're not doing scratch cakes in volume.

In the pan. This is a soaking syrup that the is meant to absorb, rather than an icing. I make a lemon verbena and lavender mini bundt cakes that I soak with a lemon verbena simply syrup warm from the oven while still in the bundt pan.

Reaction score
In the pan. This is a soaking syrup that the is meant to absorb, rather than an icing. I make a lemon verbena and lavender mini bundt cakes that I soak with a lemon verbena simply syrup warm from the oven while still in the bundt pan.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, but someone was telling me that I should take it out of the pan, poke holes in it, and then pour the syrup over. There was so much syrup in this recipe that not all of it soaked in, at least not in a short period of time. Should it be allowed to sit in the syrup in the pan for a more extended period or does there come a point at which no more is going to soak in?

Reaction score
Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, but someone was telling me that I should take it out of the pan, poke holes in it, and then pour the syrup over. There was so much syrup in this recipe that not all of it soaked in, at least not in a short period of time. Should it be allowed to sit in the syrup in the pan for a more extended period or does there come a point at which no more is going to soak in?

You definitely want to leave the cake in the pan. This is bundt cake called a Caribbean rum cake.

Put everything in a saucepan and bring to boil on the stove just like making a simple syrup. That will reduce and thickened it some. You don’t want it too thick, this is a soaking syrup.

Then add it to the cake in a few additions. When I make my bundt cakes I add the simple syrup in three additions. You have to give the I cake time to absorb the liquid. You can’t just dump it all in at once.

Poking holes in the cake depends on how thick your syrup is. I don’t poke holes in my Bundt cake since the Lemon verbena syrup is thin and readily absorbed into the cake. When poking holes use a thin skewer and don’t run it all the way threw the cake so the syrup does pour out.

Reaction score
So I wanted to check a recipe to see how much glaze is normally used for the same size pan you are using.

King Arthur flour has a recipe that actually has a little bit more liquid, a half a cup rum instead of a quarter cup. So your cake should be able to absorb all that glaze.

Reaction score
Thank you! I just took a look at your pic. You look much too young to be so knowledgeable!

lol. I’m sooo old. It’s genetics, I think and exercise. I was at the golf course last week checking in at the pro shop. I said I was waiting for my son to arrive and the young man said how old is the little lad, as he was going to charge me the child’s rate. Then my son walked in I said, “oh here he is.” And the young man said, “no he can’t be your son, you look too young.”

Ask a Question