Help with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue

Reaction score
Hey guys!!!! First post on the forum here. I searched and I couldn't find any previous posts about this, sorry if I missed them and I'm repeating myself!

Anyways down to business lol. So I have having an impossible time trying to replicate this elusive vegan
aquafaba meringue. No matter how many times I try they always turn into a puddle on my baking sheet in the stove.

The first two times I tried I used chick pea aquafaba, sugar and lemon as an acid because I didn't have cream of tartar at the time. Whipped with lemon juice until soft peaks and added sugar as I whipped to stiff peaks. Put in the oven an both turned to puddles.

Figured maybe out was the cream of tartar so I did it two more time when I got some exactly the same way as before except this time with two different measurements of cream of tartar. A cup of aquafaba to 1half tsp and the other a single tsp. BOTH turned into puddles on my oven once again. Much to my surprise since I suspected I had discovered the magic key. But lo and behold failure once again.

So what am I doing wrong??? Can anyone help I'm at a complete loss right now. I have to be missing something. I don't even want to waste more ingredients right now and I really was hoping to make macarons next week but now I don't trust this stuff. Any help is appreciated!!!

Reaction score
I've not made meringue using aquafaba myself, but I understand it takes a lot longer to whip up than egg whites. How long are you whipping it for? Also what size are you making? I think it works better as small meringues rather than big ones.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! That definitely might be it. I only ever whipped it for about 8 minutes, AND I had two batches going in one bowl. Probably did me in for sure. I'll have to give it another go and see what happens. I'll half the recipe and increase the whipping time too see what happens! Thanks

Ask a Question