Is an Electric Whisk a Worthwhile Purchase for Hobbyist Bakers?

Reaction score
I've been thinking of investing in an electric whisk, however I'm in a rut trying to decide if it is worth it? Since I'm a hobbyist baker, the time that it will save me doesn't really matter. If it is a worthwhile purchase, which model should I buy? Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
I've been thinking of investing in an electric whisk, however I'm in a rut trying to decide if it is worth it? Since I'm a hobbyist baker, the time that it will save me doesn't really matter. If it is a worthwhile purchase, which model should I buy? Thanks in advance! :)

I assuming would are referring to a hand mixer. Judging its value in your kitchen depends on what types of baked goods you routinely make. If you make a lot of brownies, bread, and/or muffins, then it’s not something that would be of much value. These types of goods a one bowl and/or hand mixed.

But if you get into butter and foam cakes, cupcakes, buttercreams, then yes, a hand mixer can be a very worthwhile investment.

I’m assuming you’re not in the US, so I can’t be much help in recommending brands. But if you’re in the UK @Becky may be able to offer recommendations.

How’d you last batch of brownies turn out?

Reaction score
I've got a Kenwood kMix electric whisk and it's great, I use it all the time :) It's fairly heavy, so if I'm doing something time consuming then my arm aches after a while, but it's very powerful. I got one as an alternative to a big mixer as I don't currently have anywhere to keep one. I also use the dough hooks from time to time - they've great for wetter doughs. If you have any questions about it let me know!

Reaction score
If you're in the UK, Tesco sell a fairly cheap hand mixer in their kitchen goods aisle. It's what I've used for years and it's been fab.

Ask a Question