Are electric whisks worth it?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Brownie Boy, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Brownie Boy

Brownie Boy New Member

I've been thinking of investing in an electric whisk, however I'm in a rut trying to decide if it is worth it? Since I'm a hobbyist baker, the time that it will save me doesn't really matter. If it is a worthwhile purchase, which model should I buy? Thanks in advance! :)

Brownie Boy, Jun 1, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Brownie Boy

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

I assuming would are referring to a hand mixer. Judging its value in your kitchen depends on what types of baked goods you routinely make. If you make a lot of brownies, bread, and/or muffins, then it’s not something that would be of much value. These types of goods a one bowl and/or hand mixed.

But if you get into butter and foam cakes, cupcakes, buttercreams, then yes, a hand mixer can be a very worthwhile investment.

I’m assuming you’re not in the US, so I can’t be much help in recommending brands. But if you’re in the UK @Becky may be able to offer recommendations.

How’d you last batch of brownies turn out?

Norcalbaker59, Jun 3, 2018
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Brownie Boy

Becky Administrator

I've got a Kenwood kMix electric whisk and it's great, I use it all the time :) It's fairly heavy, so if I'm doing something time consuming then my arm aches after a while, but it's very powerful. I got one as an alternative to a big mixer as I don't currently have anywhere to keep one. I also use the dough hooks from time to time - they've great for wetter doughs. If you have any questions about it let me know!

Becky, Jun 3, 2018
  4. Brownie Boy

-Daniel- Well-Known Member

If you're in the UK, Tesco sell a fairly cheap hand mixer in their kitchen goods aisle. It's what I've used for years and it's been fab.

-Daniel-, Jun 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question