Are there any baking ingredients that bother you?

Reaction score
Are there any baking ingredients that annoy/bother you? There are certain ingredients that some people just do not like. Perhaps the color, texture, taste, or even smell of certain ingredients bother you.
For my husband, he can not stand the texture or taste of coconut. He says he can't explain it, but the texture just really bothers him. He said it "scratches his tongue and throat" and makes him feel like he is eating grass. (Yes, he really compares it to grass.)
My brother does not like marshmellows. He says they hurt his teeth. (Which is odd since they are soft, but he says the sugar hurts his teeth.)
What about you?
Are there any baking ingredients that annoy you?

Reaction score
There are not any ingredients right off the top of my head that I can think of that bother me. However, my husband can't stand the texture of tapioca and my sister doesn't do coconut. I guess I am just the adventurous one in our family.

Reaction score
I dont do coconut either-just something about it! The smell of coriander as well,but I like in when added in to the meal.

Reaction score
I actually like coconut and marshmallow. But it disgusts me when recipes call for sour milk or buttermilk. I have a phobia of rancid milk because I accidentally drank some as a child, so any recipes that call for anything other than whole milk, freak me out.

Reaction score
Interesting, there are certainly foods in general that I despise, but not many that are used for baking. A few things that popped into my head when thinking about it:

- I really dislike caraway seeds or fennel seeds in cookies. I'm not sure if this is just an Italian thing or if it's common in other countries as well, but I've had "cookies" that weren't particularly sweet - almost borderline savory - that had these seeds in them (I'm not sure which one it was, which is why I listed both).

- I don't care for tapioca either. The pudding almost reminds me of eating caviar, which grosses me out.

- Similarly I don't like marshmallows either, mainly because they are far too sweet.

- If it's an "everything" bagel, I dislike the dried garlic and onion flakes. They taste like wood chips. I would much rather have some minced fresh onion that was baked onto the surface and became caramelized.

Reaction score
I like coconut and marshmallows. But I don't like some heavy spices. Paprika can be a little intense for me. It's just too hot and spicy for my tastes.
Oh I agree! Paprika is too much for me! I can handle it if it is a very tiny amount and mixed well with other ingredients, but it is definitely spicy!
I forgot about tapioca! I can NOT stand tapioca! When I was little, my sister told me tapico was little bug's eyeballs. I would cry every time my mother would give us tapico pudding. Still to this day the texture bothers me because I think of my sister calling it bug's eyeballs.

Reaction score
My husband hates all nuts except peanuts, almonds, and pistachios.

For myself, I just have once category I can't stand. Anything that is GMO. I even grind my own corn and wheat to get away from the frankenfoods.

Reaction score
I hate fondant. It can do some amazing things to cakes, but the taste is horrible! I made this awesome monkey cake using fondant. The cake was beautiful, but no one would eat the cake. The fondant just tasted bad. Could it have been because it was store bought?

I can not think of anything else that I do not like. On a different note, my step dad would never eat rice. He said it looked like maggots.

Reaction score
I cannot stand coconut either - for the texture mostly, and the taste isn't all that great. Also not a huge fan of butterscotch chips.

Reaction score
Ditto on coconut!! I can't stand the stuff! It ruins anything it touches!!!
Lol! It is funny because my daughter doesn't like it either but my son and husband do. It just makes me want to be sick - from the site, taste & smell.
Other than that not too many other objections! :)

Reaction score
I don't like working with ingredients that have a licorice flavor. Anise flavoring bothers me as do fennel seeds; they both smell like licorice and it actually makes me nauseous. Cloves is another spice that can make my stomach do flip flops.

Ask a Question