Are there dangerous chemicals in some sprinkles?

Reaction score
I am decorating a cake for a mini-reunion with friends for this weekend. I have bought a new brand of white pearl type sprinkles to use on it along with the standard frosting and piping tube. But it got me to wondering who one would safely choose which sprinkles to put on their cakes. Are their dangerous sprinkles out there? I know from the red food coloring posts that most dyes are safer now than in years past. Do you have any advice on safe sprinkles?

Reaction score
I don't think that you would have to worry about harsh chemicals if you are using a recognized brand. The FDA monitors stuff like that closely with food from reputable brands. I do know that some of the coloring used on some sprinkles can make them taste a little bitter though, so you may want to test them before adding a lot to your baked goods.

Reaction score
I am decorating a cake for a mini-reunion with friends for this weekend. I have bought a new brand of white pearl type sprinkles to use on it along with the standard frosting and piping tube. But it got me to wondering who one would safely choose which sprinkles to put on their cakes. Are their dangerous sprinkles out there? I know from the red food coloring posts that most dyes are safer now than in years past. Do you have any advice on safe sprinkles?

They're not going to be any more dangerous than any other foods you eat to be honest. Yes, there's some...icky things that go into your food that you don't want to hear about, like certain flavourings coming from the anal gland of a beaver, or from crushed beetles etc. But they're nothing specific to sprinkles, nor are they really dangerous.

Reaction score
I have never heard of dangerous chemicals in sprinkles. I always thought they were just mini sugar sticks. If you are concerned about store-bought sprinkles being unhealthy, you can make them at home! I have tried this recipe myself and found it was very easy. And the best part is you can make a whole batch any color or size or shape you need for your baking creation!

Makes around 1 1/2 cups

8 ounces confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 egg white, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or any other extract, such as rose water, orange blossom water, peppermint)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Assorted food coloring
12229636554_cc0b1553c3_c.jpg

12229636254_34f43b4697_c.jpg

12229410973_64447fabae_c.jpg

12229231965_78f33d0a60_c.jpg

see the full recipe @:
http://food52.com/blog/9658-how-to-make-your-own-sprinkles

Reaction score
I thought sprinkles were food safe decorations. If they are safe to go on food how could they contain harmful chemicals? Is there an artcle that we shoud be reading on the dangers of this product. please lt me know I don't want to feed harmful things to friends and family.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the ingredients are "dangerous" so much as unexpected, or a little gross when you find out how it's made. I have also heard that raspberry "flavor" is made from beaver anal glands, and gummy candies are made part from ground up animal bones. If you are a cruelty-free/vegan baker, these things can be unsettling. But the good thing there are always alternatives or a way to make it yourself so ensure you know exactly what it's made of and what you are consuming.

Ask a Question