Are you Brand Loyal when you bake?

Reaction score
When you bake are you brand loyal with your ingredients? Is there a particular flour, sweetener or ingredient that you will not bake without? I am very frugal because I have to be and I have tried generic brands of chocolate chips, chocolate powder, baking powder, baking soda, flour and sugar at various times in my life. I have found that most of the time the generic chocolate does not taste as good as the name brands do. Have you found this to be true with any of your baking ingredients?

Reaction score
When it comes to baking ingredients, I buy what I can afford, which sometimes means generic ingredients. The only ingredient I'm picky about it chocolate because I agree with you that cheap chocolate doesn't taste as good as the brand name stuff. Apart from that, I'm pretty flexible.

Reaction score
I have to be cost effective so I tend to lean toward generic versions also and have not had any problems except with two things...chocolate and condensed milk. I have to have the good kind or my recipes tend to flop or not taste as well and I get familial complaints, lol.

Reaction score
When it comes to baking ingredients, I buy what I can afford, which sometimes means generic ingredients. The only ingredient I'm picky about it chocolate because I agree with you that cheap chocolate doesn't taste as good as the brand name stuff. Apart from that, I'm pretty flexible.

Yes I agree chocolate that does not cut the bar is very disappointing. I would rather buy the named brand chocolate than waste all of the other ingredients and have the dish turn out terrible tasting.

I have to be cost effective so I tend to lean toward generic versions also and have not had any problems except with two things...chocolate and condensed milk. I have to have the good kind or my recipes tend to flop or not taste as well and I get familial complaints, lol.

I am shocked at how expensive condensed milk is these days. The Borden brand is almost $2 per can. I do my best to find coupons for it and stock up when it is on sale.

Reaction score
I do like trying new brands, but once I decide on a favorite I stick with it until there's something new to try.

Reaction score
Some generic brands are okay to buy if money is an issue, but I find that overall, sometimes the generic stuff just does not cut it. For instance, I have to use C and H sugar. I've tried other brands, but "off-brand" sugars just don't have the same taste, in my opinion.

Reaction score
I have to watch my pennies so I often buy the generic brands. I do have favorites but when I run low and can't afford them, I buy the cheapest I can find. I agree there is a big difference in cooking with generic products instead of brand name. Also the taste just isn't the same:(

Reaction score
I guess we all have to pinch our pennies these days. There are certain items I will skimp on and buy generic, but when it comes to the important stuff I won't.For example, I will only buy my favorite brands of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. The reason is because baking is such a precise art that one change can throw off the whole thing and result in a whole different texture or taste.

I will buy generic and store brand versions of pie filling, oil, herbs and spices, nuts and seeds, eggs, and milk.

Reaction score
I go generic or store brand whenever possible. I do prefer brand name chocolate chips for the same reason as others have said. In general when purchasing groceries I will almost always give a store brand a try and continue to use it if it's good enough. There are a few things, however, that I won't budge on (no one make a oat ring cereal that tastes anywhere near as good as original Cheerios). Although being cost effective is important to me I don't consider it effective it the end product doesn't taste as good!

Reaction score
Definitely not - I got for the most cost-effective ingredients, even if it means avoiding brand names. I find that unbranded ingredients are usually just as good as branded, and the end product tastes just fine. However, there is one thing which I like to buy branded every time, and that it chocolate frosting - it has to be Betty Crocker! Every other make tastes too cheap and icing-y!

Reaction score
I do like trying new brands, but once I decide on a favorite I stick with it until there's something new to try.

I will find a favorite and bake with it if I can afford to at the time I am purchasing it.

Some generic brands are okay to buy if money is an issue, but I find that overall, sometimes the generic stuff just does not cut it. For instance, I have to use C and H sugar. I've tried other brands, but "off-brand" sugars just don't have the same taste, in my opinion.

I am not as picky with sugar as I am with chocolate. I normally buy my sugar in bulk from Sams Club or Walmart.

Reaction score
I have to watch my pennies so I often buy the generic brands. I do have favorites but when I run low and can't afford them, I buy the cheapest I can find. I agree there is a big difference in cooking with generic products instead of brand name. Also the taste just isn't the same:(

I always try to stock up on chocolate and such around the holidays because they go on sale. I can deal with cheaper sugar and butter if I can assure that I have the better tasting chocolate. Can you tell I am a chocolate fiend? LOL

I guess we all have to pinch our pennies these days. There are certain items I will skimp on and buy generic, but when it comes to the important stuff I won't.For example, I will only buy my favorite brands of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. The reason is because baking is such a precise art that one change can throw off the whole thing and result in a whole different texture or taste.

I will buy generic and store brand versions of pie filling, oil, herbs and spices, nuts and seeds, eggs, and milk.

Normally I will buy my flour in bulk at Sams club so it is almost always the same brand, the same goes for sugar. I do find that some spices are better than others. Take cumin for example, I have tried several varieites but normally I try to get name brand or I buy in bulk from Sams or I will even find a decent bottle of it in the Latin isles at the grocery store. Some of the generic versions just don't add up. Now the eggs, milk, oil and pie fillings as well as nuts and seeds I will buy generic as well.

Reaction score
I go generic or store brand whenever possible. I do prefer brand name chocolate chips for the same reason as others have said. In general when purchasing groceries I will almost always give a store brand a try and continue to use it if it's good enough. There are a few things, however, that I won't budge on (no one make a oat ring cereal that tastes anywhere near as good as original Cheerios). Although being cost effective is important to me I don't consider it effective it the end product doesn't taste as good!

Oh yes now there are certain cereals that stand up much better to cooking with and you are right about the Cheerios. Normally if I am buying cereal for something I will use coupons and pair it with sales.

Definitely not - I got for the most cost-effective ingredients, even if it means avoiding brand names. I find that unbranded ingredients are usually just as good as branded, and the end product tastes just fine. However, there is one thing which I like to buy branded every time, and that it chocolate frosting - it has to be Betty Crocker! Every other make tastes too cheap and icing-y!

Oh you are so right about frosting. If I have to buy frosting I do my best to stick with Betty Crocker. Pillsbury is second but most store brands do not taste good.

Reaction score
Hi Shellyann.

Yes, you are absolutely right and I agree with you 100% about different brands of seasoning not always tasting the same. I usually have that problem with chili powder. I have bought a few off brands on occasion to give them a try and they tasted sour to me.

Reaction score
I usually look for what is on sale also. Sometimes, the name brands are on sale, and when I can get a name brand as cheap as generic, I try to stock up on it, so I have it for a while, assuming it is something that can be stored with no problem. Sometimes the cake mixes are on sale, and I can get the Betty Crocker ones as cheap as the store brand, as an example.
Otherwise, I always get the cheapest that I can find. Better to have a cheap one than not have it at all, is how I look at it, and usually the name brands cost too much for my budget .

Reaction score
I will find a favorite and bake with it if I can afford to at the time I am purchasing it.

I am not as picky with sugar as I am with chocolate. I normally buy my sugar in bulk from Sams Club or Walmart.

I don't notice a difference with sugar either. I just buy the cheapest sugar I can find. I can't see or taste a difference between Dixie Crystals and Walmart's sugar.

Reaction score
I like Mexican vanilla. It's not usually more expensive since I live near the border. I don't know what it is about Mexican vanilla. Its taste is so rich. I am picky about my chocolate. I think there is a huge difference in chocolates. I am not as picky about flour, sugar, and baking powder.

Reaction score
Hi Shellyann.

Yes, you are absolutely right and I agree with you 100% about different brands of seasoning not always tasting the same. I usually have that problem with chili powder. I have bought a few off brands on occasion to give them a try and they tasted sour to me.

I find this so true for me with cumin. I love cumin and it has to taste a certain way. :)

Reaction score
I usually look for what is on sale also. Sometimes, the name brands are on sale, and when I can get a name brand as cheap as generic, I try to stock up on it, so I have it for a while, assuming it is something that can be stored with no problem. Sometimes the cake mixes are on sale, and I can get the Betty Crocker ones as cheap as the store brand, as an example.
Otherwise, I always get the cheapest that I can find. Better to have a cheap one than not have it at all, is how I look at it, and usually the name brands cost too much for my budget .

I think that is the key... stocking up when items go on sale. I do find that most cake mixes the name brands taste better than the generics to a point at least. I do not care for generic frosting either.

I don't notice a difference with sugar either. I just buy the cheapest sugar I can find. I can't see or taste a difference between Dixie Crystals and Walmart's sugar.

I totally agree ACSAPA I normally buy the Walmart sugar in the 25 pound bag when I shop. Every once in a while I will go to Sams Club and buy the name brand Dixie Crystals in the large bags but that is not frequent.

Reaction score
I like Mexican vanilla. It's not usually more expensive since I live near the border. I don't know what it is about Mexican vanilla. Its taste is so rich. I am picky about my chocolate. I think there is a huge difference in chocolates. I am not as picky about flour, sugar, and baking powder.

I think that vanilla is another thing that is better if it is more expensive. I really want to try my hand at making my own vanilla but I have not had the money to do so yet. Good vanilla beans are expensive.

Ask a Question