Are you taking part of the salted caramel craze?

Reaction score
These days, it seems that I see more and more foods covered with salted caramel. You can even order the actual dessert from Domino's Pizza. So, are you taking part of the salted caramel craze? Although I enjoy salted caramel, I only think of eating this treat every blue moon.

Okay - this ice cream is actually good.
13047767233_37baaf79bf.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I honestly don't think I have seen many things with salted caramel. I don't buy icecream or order in pizza much so that might be a reason. Are these treats good?

Reaction score
I'm aware that salted caramel is the new trendy food, the way bacon was trendy last year. But the only salted caramel thing I've bought so far is a jar of ice cream topping.
It's good but I don't notice a huge difference from regular caramel. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough.

Reaction score
I'm aware that salted caramel is the new trendy food, the way bacon was trendy last year. But the only salted caramel thing I've bought so far is a jar of ice cream topping.
It's good but I don't notice a huge difference from regular caramel. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough.
Bacon is never not trendy, but I get what you mean.

Never had salted caramel myself, and I don't think it's on the menu at my local Domino's. I'll check it out the next time I order a pizza though to see what it's like I guess.

Reaction score
Is this because of the salty/sweet thing people love? I've never been into it myself, and honestly, seeing "salted" turns me off from trying anything like that because I'm not a real salt person. But I have been told it's very good, and that the salt doesn't ruin the caramel flavor, but actually enhances it.

A good way to start would be to mix caramel with something like a pretzel. I found this recipe online that looks like an easy way for us salty/caramel newbies to get into it to try it:

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/salted-pretzel-caramel-brownies

2013-04-26-salted-brownies-586x322.jpg

Reaction score
I have never had salted caramel before however i tend to stay away from foods that are salty as i suffer from hypertension and i really don't think i am missing out on anything by not eating these products.

Reaction score
Is this because of the salty/sweet thing people love? I've never been into it myself, and honestly, seeing "salted" turns me off from trying anything like that because I'm not a real salt person. But I have been told it's very good, and that the salt doesn't ruin the caramel flavor, but actually enhances it.

A good way to start would be to mix caramel with something like a pretzel. I found this recipe online that looks like an easy way for us salty/caramel newbies to get into it to try it:

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/salted-pretzel-caramel-brownies

2013-04-26-salted-brownies-586x322.jpg
Before I even knew what those things were, I wanted some. I really need to stop coming here when I'm too poor to bake!

Reaction score
I have taken notice of this trend but I have not had a chance to try out any of the recipes or taste any premade goodies. I do plan to make salted caramel brownies.

Reaction score
Since it was offered as a special milkshake flavor last summer, I decided to try it. It was really good, and I've seen tons of other salted caramel stuff since then, though I haven't really tried the other stuff. That recipes sure looks yummy though.

Reaction score
I've always liked salted caramel, but as it's been more trendy lately my son has really started enjoying it too so I guess in a sense we are taking part in the craze ;). It's certainly not the worst food trend, imo.

Reaction score
I have heard about this salted caramel craze and to be honest I just can't wait to trying one of those recipes!!! I0ve found many that go from cakes, to cookies, to bars... you name it. I'm just waiting to move out form here so I can have more freedom in the kitchen and I have an easier time finding ingredients.

Reaction score
I do like salted caramels and chocolate covered salted caramels are even better. I am not as fond of the salted caramel flavored foods that have come out. Why is it that every food manufacturer has to jump on the band wagon with these craze and make things like salted caramel pop tarts and cereal? Somethings are just best being what they were meant to really be.

Reaction score
I actually have some salted caramel ice cream (I think it has truffle in the name, also) in my freezer right now. I buy this probably every 4 months or so, and it lasts a long time, because I only have a few spoonfuls at a time, since it's so rich. It is really good, but a little goes a long way.

Reaction score
I actually have some salted caramel ice cream (I think it has truffle in the name, also) in my freezer right now. I buy this probably every 4 months or so, and it lasts a long time, because I only have a few spoonfuls at a time, since it's so rich. It is really good, but a little goes a long way.

What brand of ice cream is it? It sounds completely and absolutely delicious, I've been looking for an ice cream like that for a while, but no luck so far!

Reaction score
I've had some salted caramel things that have been good, but for the most part those have just been caramel truffles with salt. Anything that tries to incorporate salted caramel as an ingredient or flavor kind of misses the point. The idea is to keep the two flavors separate, so you get hit with sweet and the shocked by salt, or vice versa. When they try to put salted caramel into ice cream or other desserts the flavors get muddled and you end up with salty caramel.

Reaction score
What brand of ice cream is it? It sounds completely and absolutely delicious, I've been looking for an ice cream like that for a while, but no luck so far!

@Trellum It is really good. As I said, a little goes a long way, so it's also great for portion control, at least for me ;).

Attachments

• ice cream sea salt caramel truffle.jpg
    ice cream sea salt caramel truffle.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 514
Reaction score
I don't like salty food very much unless it is necessary due to sweating a lot in hot weather. I like my caramel to not be salted like that. I feel like the salt bite interrupts the creamy sweetness caramel is supposed to have.

Reaction score
@Trellum It is really good. As I said, a little goes a long way, so it's also great for portion control, at least for me ;).

Oh great value! It looks soooo good, I can surely find that at Walmart, hehehe! I hope is not as good as it looks, otherwise I'll miss it so much when I move out the country :oops: Does it have streaks of actual salted caramel?

Reaction score
Oh great value! It looks soooo good, I can surely find that at Walmart, hehehe! I hope is not as good as it looks, otherwise I'll miss it so much when I move out the country :oops: Does it have streaks of actual salted caramel?

I think it's more ribbons of caramel, and it's been a while since I've eaten it, so I don't remember whether the caramel streaks are salted, or there are separate chunks of salted caramel. I've bought two different ones (the other I got at Kroger) that are very similar, so I tend to get them mixed up. Where are you moving? I'm sure there will probably be something similar where you are going, unless it's a very out of the way country :eek:.

Reaction score
I think it's more ribbons of caramel, and it's been a while since I've eaten it, so I don't remember whether the caramel streaks are salted, or there are separate chunks of salted caramel. I've bought two different ones (the other I got at Kroger) that are very similar, so I tend to get them mixed up. Where are you moving? I'm sure there will probably be something similar where you are going, unless it's a very out of the way country :eek:.

The Netherlands, but I am sure they don't have the great value brand :( I'm not even sure I'll be able to find ,my favorite boxed cake brand there :( I don't use boxed cake mixes often, but they are handy when you are just feeling under the weather and just want to make something fast and on the go. You know, for a lazy time. Plus I already know some tricks to make a boxed cake super moist and taste like a bakery one ;) Almost! I just love baking :D

Ask a Question