At what age can kids start helping in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Often times kids love to help mom or dad in the kitchen even at a really early age and was just curious how early have you allowed your kids to help you in the kitchen? Three? Four?

Reaction score
My eldest daughter was 4 years old when she started helping me in the kitchen,my son was about 5 when he got interested in helping in the kitchen, yesterday i bake 2 cakes and let them do the icing they realy enjoyed it the only bad thing they like to mess a lot and mommy must clean:D

Reaction score
My son is almost two, and already has show an interest in whats going on in the kitchen. Since he is still too young, I let him help me by throwing things away. I also keep his play kitchen right in there, so he can mix his imaginary food while I cook. Seems to be a great compromise for now.

Reaction score
I am a nanny for a two-year-old and a four-year-old, and they both help in the kitchen now. They love to mix the batter. I also let them decorate things. Last week we made a really beautiful cake for their mothers' birthday. I let them help with the mixing, pouring the batter into the pans, and then let them put the jam between the layers. They can't do everything yet, but they can do some things. They were so proud to give their mother the cake that they made.

Reaction score
My son just turned 4 and he has been helping for at least a year. He does things like mix, crack eggs, pour, etc. I will often measure and then he will get to pour it in and stir it up :) He feels SO proud when we can tell people that HE made the cookies or that HE made the banana bread!

Reaction score
It depends on when they get in the morning I guess. I know my little sister wakes up around seven in the morning so I usually give her thirty minutes to an hour before I let her help me in the kitchen because I want to make sure that she is awake and capable of truly contributing and not just making a mess.

Reaction score
I don't have my own kids, but I got into baking when I was very young, as did my brother, so I think I would be inclined to do as my parents did and let my kids help out as soon as they start showing an interest. Even if it's doing a really simple task, it's still helping to foster the child's interest.

Reaction score
My sons were around three when they showed interest and wanted to help "stir" and "lick the spoon". They are grown now and retained a love of the kitchen. My grandson is now three and has started asking , "Nanna can I stir that?" So another generation follows suit.

Reaction score
My eldest was 6 and the youngest was 4 when I started letting them help out during baking. I assigned them simple tasks such as hand-mixing the dough or beating the eggs during preparation time. They also loved forming the dough into balls when baking cookies. When they were still enrolled in regular school (they're now homeschooled, by the way) I let them help out in the preparation of their birthday cakes which they bring to school when their birthdays arrive, and they're so proud to tell their classmates that they helped out in the process of baking the goodies.

Reaction score
My little sister was around 4 before I let her really help me. Before that she "helped" me by throwing away any trash. Now I let her crack eggs, measure ingredients, stir, etc. I still don't trust her with the oven or sharp knives, but with anything else I let her help.

Reaction score
My grandson was two when I started to let him help with cooking. Obviously, he was very limited as to what he could do, but he enjoyed dumping pre-measured things in a bowl and helping mix the batter. He also liked putting sprinkles on the frosted cakes and cookies, or the cheese and pepperoni on the pizza. As he's gotten older, he's more able to be involved. He's almost 6 now. But no sharp knives or oven for him either.

Reaction score
My 3 year old loves to sit on the counter while I cook. The twins (22 months old) love to sit on chairs and watch as well. Alot of the times while I am cooking all three of them are right there with me. They find it very interesting. I think my one of the twins is going to be a fabulous cook when he grows up. He is very attentive in the kitchen.

Reaction score
I didn't start to let my daughter help in the kitchen until she was about 10, but that's because my current hated apartment, where I have lived for too long, has a tiny kitchen where two people would bump into each other.

When we're able to move, it'll be cooking lesson time and I'll walk her through everything.

Reaction score
My daughter is just over 2 and she's already helping with baking. She likes to stir and while it can get messy she does a good job. I'm mostly teaching her things like, the oven is hot, ouchy! Now when I open the oven she yells, "hot!"

Reaction score
While it didn't result in anything edible, my grandson and I made play dough together. I read the instructions to him, he helped pour the ingredients into the pot, and I did the actual cooking. He made some very green play dough by using the entire bottle of green food coloring.:)

Reaction score
I'm currently pregnant right now, and I think I'll introduce cooking to my son at about two and a half or three years old. When children are toddlers, it's actually a natural instinct for them to want to help. I think it'd be a great way to keep them productive, busy, and have a sense of accomplishment. I'd start with very small things, such as cookies.

Reaction score
I've got a newborn baby right now, but as soon as he expresses adequate interest I plan on having him help me in the kitchen! :)

Reaction score
My little boy started as soon as he could stand on his chair. Obviously not with actually cooking as in the picture - seen making scrambled eggs, age 3 years, but with simpler tasks. I let him count out the potatoes or squeeze lemon onto scallops or fish or stir something in a bowl. He loves it and as soon as I start cooking, he pulls up a chair and asks what he can do. It can be pretty handy too, sometimes not, when you are in a hurry and guests are arriving and flour is all over the show!

Reaction score
I think it's never too early for kids to learn things in the kitchen. I have no kids - yet, but after watching MasterChef Junior, my belief system has been changed ;D

Reaction score
My son is almost two, and already has show an interest in whats going on in the kitchen

True, many children start feeling attraction for kitchen sin early age, and it's all about start letting the come around and do simple thing, never exposed to help at the stove or oven, watch over them and never put something near the edge of the counter that could hurts them such as knives, hot oil recipients and so on.

Ask a Question