Gluten-Free Baking for a Rash-Free Life

Reaction score
I've mentioned in previous posts that I am a nanny to two boys. The older one has a rash that runs up the inside of his arms. We noticed that about a month after I started it got significantly worse. When we looked for the cause we realized that I bake with the boys twice a week, and the other nanny never baked with them. We decided to remove gluten from his diet for a few weeks and see what happened. I started doing non-edible projects with them, like play-doh or cooking clay beads in the oven for them to decorate. I think baking is a great way to teach them teamwork, following directions, and math so I didn't want to cut it out entirely. The rash got much better and we decided it was best for him to allow gluten for special occasions (birthday parties, dinners out, and Christmas cookies) but to cut it out of his daily fare. The problem is that this boy loves baked goods, and can usually tell the difference when I give him the "yucky" bread, cake or brownies. I learned to bake from my grandmother, and she was a big fan of gluten...although she couldn't have told you what it is. I am hoping some of you might have delicious gluten free recipes that I could give this little boy so he doesn't feel like he's missing out every time we walk past the bakery on the corner. All of the gluten free recipes I have tried with him don't ever get eaten. . .and for good reason. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Chocolate orange cake! That sounds delicious. I will put the ingredients on his parent list. Hopefully he'll like it and we can make it as an occasional treat. I appreciate the help. I really do feel for the poor kid because I am a carb addict and I can't imagine giving up delicious breads and cakes.

Ask a Question