Babovka - a Slovak Cake. Delish!

Reaction score
Procedure is more important on this cake than ingredients - but the better your ingredients, the better your cake!

Ingredients:
  • 7 eggs - free range if avail
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 350 grams of "instant" flour - otherwise known as 'best for blending' flour - it's a super fine flour that doesn't clump
  • 375 grams of granular sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2.5 tsp baking powder
  • 300 ml buttermilk
  • 2+ Tablespoons good quality cocoa powder

Butter/Flour one large bundt pan, or prep the equivalent. I prefer 4-5 mini bundt pans. Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Separate your eggs. Put the whites in a medium sized bowl and yolks in a large bowl.
Beat your yolks until they become lighter in color. Add in most of the sugar, but keep a few tablespoons aside and continue to beat until almost taffy-like. Slowly add in your oil and vanilla. Then add in your flour and baking powder, alternating with the milk until incorporated.

Beat your egg whites, slowly adding in the remaining granular sugar, until stiff peaks form.

BY HAND - Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until smooth and incorporated.
Pour about 2/3 of your batter into your prepared bundt pan(s).

BY HAND - mix the cocoa powder into the remaining 1/3 batter until incorporated and you have a rich chocolaty batter.
Gently/slowly pour this into a single circular layer on top of your white batter. DO NOT Swirl with a knife. The chocolate and additional mixing will have made that layer more dense and it Will settle inside the white layer.

Bake for about 1.5 hours for a single bundt pan until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool at least 15 minutes before turning the pan over on a cooling rack and taking the cake out. The cake should drop out on its own, otherwise it's not cool enough yet. Don't be too forceful.

Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar over the top.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCN0587.JPG
    DSCN0587.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 416
Reaction score
This sounds delicious. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I agree with your comment about the better your ingredients, the better your cake. I personally use free range eggs purchased from the farmers' market instead of supermarket eggs. They taste so much better and give your baking products more flavor as well.

Reaction score
Those look and sound delicious! I'm not great when it comes to folding in (I always seem to knock the air out) but I might have to give these a try...

Reaction score
Those look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! :) I love getting to learn new recipes! This forum is so fantastic for that! :)
What I like about this paticular recipe is how detailed you are in your descriptions.
I agree, it is very importatant to follow steps accurately. I noticed you made a point to write "by hand". It truly does make a difference when you use your hands rather than using a mixer, ect.
Again thanks for the recipe! I look forward to trying these out!

Reaction score
Oh wow, they look wonderful. I like that they don't look TOO sweet. I will have to try this...thanks for the recipe!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandryscik

Latest Threads