Baby Girl's cake smash (first birthday)

Reaction score
My baby (not so much a baby anymore!) will be one in a little over a month.

I want to get pictures and do a cake smash, but I'm debating the style/decoration to do for the cake.

Have any of you seen any good "smash cakes" for first birthdays? It would need to be "girly" and I like pastel type tones for the cake - but if you have any good suggestions please feel free to throw them my way!!

Reaction score
Yeah! My husband's family has this tradition where his mom makes a cake like you're talking about for the kid's 1st birthday. She has a cake mold that is in the shape of a teddy bear, and then she just decorates it with whatever color she thought fits. Maybe you can do something like that and decorate the bear in girly colors or put a bow on it or something?

Reaction score
Yeah! My husband's family has this tradition where his mom makes a cake like you're talking about for the kid's 1st birthday. She has a cake mold that is in the shape of a teddy bear, and then she just decorates it with whatever color she thought fits. Maybe you can do something like that and decorate the bear in girly colors or put a bow on it or something?

That's a good idea! I really just need to make something with a lot of icing so that it's squishy and smashable so that it looks good in pictures! A cake mold is a good idea because then it's cute but easy to make and takes a bit of the stress out of it. I always get nervous making a cake for a special occasion, even though I've made loads of cakes before. It's just the pressure of it if something messes up!

Reaction score
I don't know if you have done the smash cake for your little girl yet, but I have had requests for similar cakes as well. I have tried doing a simple buttercream cake with 2-3 layers of cake and then doing the buttercream in pastel colors. The buttercream I simply did a rose swirl using the open star tip or wilton 2D and covered the entire cake with the different colors. Turns out nice for pictures and buttercream is quite soft for a young one to smash. Hope this helps :)

Ask a Question