Bacon, onion and spinach tart/quiche

Reaction score
I have found this a very reliable and quick favorite:

Grate or chop one onion, and slice a 250g packet of bacon - fry together until bacon is cooked. Add two or three chopped gherkins and a heaped tablespoon of cocktail onions, also chopped. Add at least one tablespoon of fresh, chopped parsley. Chop between 10-15 sliced spinach leaves, depending on size, but be generous as the spinach cooks away to nothing! Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture is not too wet. Then stir 1 heaped tablespoon of flour into a half cup of milk, and add to the mixture - stir well. Add 1 cup of grated cheese (I prefer mature cheddar) and finally 2 eggs, beaten. Stir through well, check seasoning (you want a very savory taste with a bit of tartness) and remove from the heat.

Crust: 1 cup self-raising flour; 1 egg, 175g of butter, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, pinch of salt. Sift flour and salt, rub in butter. Beat egg and vinegar together, and mix with the dry ingredients. It should be quite a stiff, tacky consistency. Grease a pie dish and press the mixture into the dish - let it come up the sides a bit, neaten the edge with your finger.

When the bacon mixture has cooled a bit, put it into the pie dish, sprinkle paprika on top and bake in a fairly hot pre-heated oven (200 degrees C) for about 35 minutes. Test with a skewer or knife - if it comes out clean, the quiche is done. Best served hot, but not bad at room temperature either!

Reaction score
Ah, my husband would love this! I'm not big on quiche though because I don't really like eggy things - weird I know, since I'll eat them in cakes and sweet baked treats (where you can't see/taste the egg, essentially!) but when I can see the egg I'm just like "noooooope!"

Reaction score
Well I must be honest that I am not a big quiche fan, but you know what they, bacon makes everything better, so maybe I should give this one a shot. All it usually takes for me to start rethinking my whole attitude about certain foods is one good experience, so this might just be that shot in the arm for the quiche. Looks great, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Sounds tasty, but don't you need to drain the bacon grease?

I wonder if this could be made with egg whites instead of whole eggs. I might try turkey bacon as well. It probably won't be quite as tasty, but I think it could work.

Reaction score
I'm just a watcher when it comes to something you bake with a crust because I still have to experience baking a crust. But anyway, it is understandable that bacon has a magnet especially when it is being fried, oh, I just couldn't resist that, grease or no grease (just a pun). And I have to admit that the recipe is very complicated for my simple mind so maybe I just have to find a restaurant that serves that tart.

Ask a Question