Bagel proofing

Reaction score
Hello,

For my new job, I am making bagels from scratch, which, despite all my baking/pastry experience, I have never done.

The long and the short of my issue is this: I've been asked to proof the bagels in covered, plastic containers stacked on top of each other (purely to save on space) overnight instead of sheet trays with plastic wrap.

I think this overproofs the bagels (it has). My boss (who isn't a baker) thinks either there's something wrong with the recipe, which is a fairly basic bagel recipe, or that I'm doing something wrong.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Commercial production requires commercial equipment. Proofing temperatures must be regulated to control fermentation. And the only way to regulate the proofing temperature is with a proofer.

Humidity must also be controlled. Again the only way to control the humidity during proofing is with a proofer.

But before you even get to the proofing stage, you need to regulate your dough temperature during mixing. The temperature of the shaped dough plays a major role in the rate of fermentation.

Link to basics on bagel production.

http://www.bakeinfo.co.nz/files/file/86/BIRT_Bagels_Info_Sheet.pdf

Ask a Question