Bagel Sponge

Reaction score
I'm using high-gluten flour, active dry yeast and warm water for my sponge and I can't seem to capture a "pancake mix" type consistency. The flour immediately mixes into a dough consistency with the water and never develops into a frothy bublled sponge as I've seen with regular bread flour. Any thoughts? My bagels are coming out flavorless now (however look wonderful).

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Pat :)

I'm a big fan of Paul Hollywood, and he always says that a long cool prove is better than a short warm one. Maybe try using cool water and leave it for a lot longer?

Which recipe are you following?

Reaction score
You can try mixing the yeast in luke warm water. It usually helps to distribute the yeast evenly in the mix.

Reaction score
I'm using high-gluten flour, active dry yeast and warm water for my sponge and I can't seem to capture a "pancake mix" type consistency. The flour immediately mixes into a dough consistency with the water and never develops into a frothy bublled sponge as I've seen with regular bread flour. Any thoughts? My bagels are coming out flavorless now (however look wonderful).
I make Bagels every other day. I always use room temperature water. I measure my flour and whisk in the instant yeast. Then I add the room temperature water while using my small whisk. I just keep adding water and whisking until it achieves the right consistency. After an hour or so, I have a very bubbly sponge.

Ask a Question