Bajan sweet bread recipe

Reaction score
In my country, this is a much sought after sweet bread. Persons who have migrated to the U.S. and Uk will often request this bread when friends or relatives visit.

2 1/2 cups grated coconut
1/2 cup melted butter
4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon shortening
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1 teaspoon almond essence

In large mixing bowl add all of the flour, baking powder, and salt. Melt the butter in a saucepan. In another bowl mix the coconut, the majority of the sugar - leave some back for covering the loaves later, raisins , egg, milk, almond essence, vanilla essence and melted butter. Mix well until you have a creamy paste. Add this to the bowl with the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until you form stiff dough.

Now divide the mixture between the baking tins. Now boil the water. Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar, with some hot water and brush the top of each loaf.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour. Leave to cool in tins before serving. When cooled slice and serve with a fresh pot of tea.

I like to melt cheese on my slices when I do indulge.

Reaction score
I feel like you've just shared a secret weapon with us ;) this sounds truly wonderful...I will be giving it a try, I've never done much in the way of breads, much less sweet breads.

Reaction score
I feel like you've just shared a secret weapon with us ;) this sounds truly wonderful...I will be giving it a try, I've never done much in the way of breads, much less sweet breads.

Well I was a little worried because no one seemed to be getting excited about my "sweet bread" and it's such a hit with locals and those living abroad.

I try to stay far from it. It's too inviting. There are several twists to it of course and then there are the ones with the coconut and sugar in the middle. Oh how yummy! I have come across very similar breads in my travels but you know what they say. There is nothing better than the "homemade" ones.

Reaction score
Well I was a little worried because no one seemed to be getting excited about my "sweet bread" and it's such a hit with locals and those living abroad.

I try to stay far from it. It's too inviting. There are several twists to it of course and then there are the ones with the coconut and sugar in the middle. Oh how yummy! I have come across very similar breads in my travels but you know what they say. There is nothing better than the "homemade" ones.

Maybe everyone else is trying to stay away from temptation as well? ;) lol they do sound wonderful, and I do agree, there's nothing quite like your own regional treats. I think some people get more excited about pies or cakes or whatever but breads and other baked goods can be just as inviting.

Reaction score
I can spend all day talking about these local treats that twenty or thirty years down the road your sister in the US or some lost cousin in the UK or Canada wanted you to bring them if you were visiting:). Turn overs, jam puffs, tamarind balls, sugar cakes and much more are would be on "the list".

When I was younger I used to think these things could never be found outside of your country the way the returning nationals would behave but I understand everything much better now.

Reaction score
I can completely relate, that's one thing here in the States...not only are there tons of different treats by state that can be really different, but there are so many people who have lived or grown up in other countries all around that add a really great fusion of treats and cooking styles, among other things of course. I love all the diversity close together.

Ask a Question