Baked Beans

Reaction score
Yesterday, using a recipe from Cook's Country Magazine, I explored making baked beans that were not baked in the oven. The prep for the beans was a little different and they were done in the crock pot. I like the whole onions that float to the top, but their recipe said to fry the salt pork and after it renders to fry the chopped onions in that fat. Molasses and brown sugar were the usual sweeteners. I let them go on low for 10-12 hours, added mustard, vinegar and more molasses at the finish. What I thought were just more soupy beans set up very nicely into a thick sauce with those additions. I'm looking forward to the comments at supper tonight.

Reaction score
I LOVE Crockpot recipes!

Thats a good Thread for Becky to add when she gets better. Crockpot Baking!

Reaction score
Norcalbaker59: This is the baked beans recipe from Cook's or Cook's Country magazine. I get both and pull out the recipes I want. Great, great recipes for a non-professional chef. They explain the science and the tried and failed attempts with every recipe.

Boston Baked Beans - by Diane Unger-Mahoney
(Don't use dark or blackstrap molasses which will become bitter tasting in the slow cooker)

1 pound navy beans, picked over and soaked in cold water for 8 to 12 hours
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 bay leaves
4 ounces salt pork, rind removed
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mild molasses
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Set slow cooker to high to preheat. Drain beans and transfer to large Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water, baking soda, and bay leaves. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then use wide spoon to skim off any foam that rises to the top. Boil 15 minutes. Drain beans and transfer to slow cooker insert, discarding bay leaves.
2. While beans are cooking in a Dutch oven, score the fatty side of salt pork and cut into 2 pieces. Place scored side down in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until fat is rendered 8 to 10 minutes. Turn salt pork over, and add onions, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker insert. Stir 1/4 cup molasses, brown sugar and boiling water into slow cooker insert.
3. Cover beans with a piece of aluminum foil, then cover slow cooker with lid. Set slow cooker to low and cook until beans are tender and creamy, 10 to 12 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.)
4. Turn off slow cooker and remove lid and aluminum foil. Stir remaining 2 tablespoons molasses, mustard, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker with lid and let beans sit until sauce has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.

Reaction score
Norcalbaker59: This is the baked beans recipe from Cook's or Cook's Country magazine. I get both and pull out the recipes I want. Great, great recipes for a non-professional chef. They explain the science and the tried and failed attempts with every recipe.

Boston Baked Beans - by Diane Unger-Mahoney
(Don't use dark or blackstrap molasses which will become bitter tasting in the slow cooker)

1 pound navy beans, picked over and soaked in cold water for 8 to 12 hours
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 bay leaves
4 ounces salt pork, rind removed
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mild molasses
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Set slow cooker to high to preheat. Drain beans and transfer to large Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water, baking soda, and bay leaves. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then use wide spoon to skim off any foam that rises to the top. Boil 15 minutes. Drain beans and transfer to slow cooker insert, discarding bay leaves.
2. While beans are cooking in a Dutch oven, score the fatty side of salt pork and cut into 2 pieces. Place scored side down in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until fat is rendered 8 to 10 minutes. Turn salt pork over, and add onions, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker insert. Stir 1/4 cup molasses, brown sugar and boiling water into slow cooker insert.
3. Cover beans with a piece of aluminum foil, then cover slow cooker with lid. Set slow cooker to low and cook until beans are tender and creamy, 10 to 12 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.)
4. Turn off slow cooker and remove lid and aluminum foil. Stir remaining 2 tablespoons molasses, mustard, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker with lid and let beans sit until sauce has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.

Thank you very much for posting this recipe Margot. I'm not familiar with Cooks Country magazine. But it sounds like a magazine I would enjoy. I am always very interested in the science of cooking.

I noticed this recipe is specific about the molasses--which is a very good thing. I don't think most people are aware of the differences in the three types of molasses. And as this recipe points out, if you use the wrong molasses you're going to end up with some very bitter notes in your finished product!

Reaction score
Yup. Ate those beans right up. One caution, though. I left them too long on low and they lost their shape and were a little mushy. Eyeball them early on - maybe at 8-10 hours. Give a bite to test for done, and add the ending ingredients. I got distracted. The taste was wonderful. There were no leftovers.

Reaction score
Yup. Ate those beans right up. One caution, though. I left them too long on low and they lost their shape and were a little mushy. Eyeball them early on - maybe at 8-10 hours. Give a bite to test for done, and add the ending ingredients. I got distracted. The taste was wonderful. There were no leftovers.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you Margot

Ask a Question