baked cheesecake

Reaction score
I am a great fan of cheesecake however I sometimes notice that my baked cheesecake cracks on the surface. I have read it may be largely due to overbeating the cream cheese and incorporating too much air, however am interested to know if there are other reasons this is happening!

thanks!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cheesecake is a custard The cracking is due to over baking and in proper cooling.

The internal temperature is 160°F. You want to stop baking when the cheesecake is at 150°F. Then cool it slowly in the oven for about 30. This is why cheesecake should be baked at a lower temperature than most recipes indicate; 300°F or even 275°F works better than 3025°F as most recipes indicate.

Always use a bain Marie. Water boils, then of course evaporates away at 212°F (at higher revelations water boils at lower temperatures). Since the water will around the pan well never exceed 212°F, it provides insulation against the higher temperature of the oven heat. Just be careful not to create too deep a bain Marie.

if you do not have an instant read thermometer, or you do not want to more of the top of your cheesecake, tap The pan rim with a spoon to see if the center is soft set. You do not want to bake the cheesecake until it is hard set. It should be slightly jiggly in the center. And turn the oven off, and start the cooling process.

The cheesecake recipe I use bakes at 275°F for 90 minutes. It’s in a bain Marie. It is cooled in the oven for 30 minutes with the oven door cracked open. I just stick a wooden spoon at the base of the oven door to prop it open. Afterwards it is moved to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.

Ask a Question