Baked Eggs

Reaction score
I recently heard about baking eggs. A lady whose house I cleaned had just done so, I believe in the toaster oven. The egg looked like it had been scrambled, then baked so it puffed up a bit and browned. I won't be seeing her for some time. Does anyone know a little more about how to do this?

Reaction score
I have done it in the microwave ... put about 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a coffee mug and melt the butter. Swirl the cup around so the butter covers the sides. Add your egg and give it a quick swipe to scramble it a bit. Cook in the microwave for about 1:40. (You can google this for the correct time.) This is the method I use when I want to make a breakfast sandwich on a muffin or bagel. Great quick method!

Reaction score
Yeah, my kids used to make the microwave scramble sometimes.

There are quite a few different ways to make baked eggs in the oven. You can simply beat them with a little milk, pour them in a prepared baking pan, and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, or you can add some goodies too. I like to add veggies, cheese, sometimes meat.

Reaction score
We just cook them in the oven (gas 6-7) having cracked the egg into a ramekin, adding a little cream, salt and pepper. Then stand the ramekin in a Ban Marie for about 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the egg. I rather like them this way and have been having 1 or 2 for lunch each day with some bread. I like it best when the yolk is still runny!

Reaction score
When I used to use a microwave I used a omelet/scrambled bowl with cover that came specifically for that purpose. I'd just scramble the eggs and put it in there then nuke it for about 1 minute or so.

Now, when I bake I also use the buttered ramekins. Sometimes I scramble them, sometimes I don't. And sometimes I sprikle cheese or other toppings over them.

Reaction score
From the microwave the egg DOES taste a little different. It's why after a while I stopped making it like that unless I was in a rush. It doesn't taste as "rich" I guess. But, not much different from the oven.

Reaction score
I've never cooked it in the oven or microwave oven before. Does it taste different?
cooking them in an oven has been a nice surprise. A touch of milk or cream, a spot of pepper and salt, and the white takes on a different composition and flavour whilst the yolk remains creamy if not overcooked. I don't like them microwaved though, never have done.

Ask a Question