Baked goods with bacon - yes or no?

Reaction score
One thing I've seen a lot of lately is baked goods with the addition of bacon. I guess it's for the sweet yet salty sort of taste combination, but what do you think of it?

images

Does the sound of a bacon buttercream cupcake, or a bacon maple glazed donut sound appealing to you? Or just not quite your cup of tea?

Reaction score
I am one of those strange people that doesn't really like bacon that much, so I would rather not have this flavor added to anything. But I know there are a lot of people who really like it and would love this combination. There is also a dougnut shop I have heard of that has bacon maple bars, so I know the combination of a baked/fried flour based item with a sweet topping and bacon has been done before and sells well.

Reaction score
I don't know why but it is something that is different but could really work. I do think it would be a really good combo but I would nearly want to try it once in a bakery or something than making a batch for it not to work out well. It is always good in my opinion to try out new things and new combinations. I am always someone to say that I will try it before I say I don't like it. If you don't like bacon in general that is fair enough but just because it is a weird combination I don't see what it wouldn't work!

Reaction score
Not for me, not on icing at least. I didn't even like the idea of cinnamon rolls with bacon. I just can't, lol. I love bacon, but the only time I might mix them with something sweet is when I eat pancakes.

Reaction score
The combination of bacon and buttercream doesn't appeal to me, although I am a bacon lover. However, the idea of combining the flavors of bacon and maple, is very appealing, so I would probably be inclined to try the bacon maple glazed donuts, even though I don't usually eat glazed donuts.

Reaction score
I am totally for the idea of mixing bacon with sweet desserts like a cupcake or a glazed donut. I have had a maple glazed donut before with bacon on top and it tasted delicious. I think I would try the combination of buttercream and bacon, as long as the flavors went well together, I do not see a texture issue there. I probably would not experiment with these bacon ideas at home, but rather try them in a bakery.

Reaction score
The combination of bacon and buttercream doesn't appeal to me, although I am a bacon lover. However, the idea of combining the flavors of bacon and maple, is very appealing, so I would probably be inclined to try the bacon maple glazed donuts, even though I don't usually eat glazed donuts.

Same here! That mix doesn't sound good to me at all. It actually sounds like something my dad would eat. Lol. But maple and bacon don't sound bad. I actually love to eat pancakes with bacon.

Reaction score
Same here! That mix doesn't sound good to me at all. It actually sounds like something my dad would eat. Lol. But maple and bacon don't sound bad. I actually love to eat pancakes with bacon.

I think that's one of the biggest reasons that I like the sound of maple and bacon anything - it does just remind me of delicious breakfasts with pancakes and bacon!

Reaction score
I think that's one of the biggest reasons that I like the sound of maple and bacon anything - it does just remind me of delicious breakfasts with pancakes and bacon!

I'd definitely eat one of those glazed maple donuts ;) I think it was you who posted a link to an article about gourmet donuts? I remember seen a gazed donut with bacon, it looked so sinful! I thought: Gosh, I'd definitely eat that right now, forget diet! LOL.

Reaction score
We make maple bacon cupcakes. It's actually one of the first things my fiance baked with me. They were really yummy.

Reaction score
I don't mind them, but it's not something I'd eat everyday or anything like that by far. It's a good one-in-awhile type of snack. And if you balk at the idea of bacon and frosting together, just remember one universal rule:

Bacon is good with anything. *lol*

Ask a Question