Baked goods

Reaction score
Hello,

• Will anyone be able for me to understand Baked goods in terms product categories?

Across the world, the following categories of baked goods are offered:
  • Bread and rolls
  • Cakes and pastries
  • Cookies
  • Others
I wanted to know, what is the ratio of the the categories mentioned above when you separate them as:
  • Plain type
  • Filled type
  • Sandwich type
As we are observing the consumers with an obsession on health which reduces the demand for certain items such as white bread, sweet bakeries, and nuts.
Baked goods i.e. Bread being a staple in American and European region sees a demand for it. However its not the case in Asian and African countries.

• A ranking or approximate percentage (out of 100%) for those types in relation to each product category would be helpful

Reaction score
Bake goods are not categorized as plain, filled, etc. The categories of baked goods are bread, viennoiserie, and pastry/patisserie. I don’t know what you mean by a ranking. Most bakeries sell a goods from all three categories. There was a trend toward cupcake only bakeries a few years back, but many have closed as a one product bakery is not sustainable in the long run.

Bread: leavened plain doughs

Viennoiserie: enriched yeasted doughs and laminated doughs. Examples are croissants, brioche, danishes fall in this category.

Pastry/patisserie: all other sweet baked goods including but not limited to:
  • pate a choux
  • pate battues (beaten batters like cake)
  • pate a babas (sweetened leavened doughs)
  • pate brisee and friable (unleavened doughs like cookies, tarts, pies)

Reaction score
Hi,
I am interested in reaching out to the American and European market for selling baked goods
My major focus is on baked goods with a centre filling.

I am currently making:
  • Breads and rolls
  • Cakes and pastries
  • Cookies
  • Others (pie, quiche, muffin, biscuits)
Questions:
  • Out of the above product categories, which do you think has a large preference among consumers in Americas and Europe?
  • What type of fillings would be appropriate with bread, rolls, and buns?
  • What type of fillings would be best for cakes and pastries?
  • What type of fillings would be best for cookies?
  • What type of fillings would be appropriate for other baked goods like pies, quiche, muffin, doughnut, and biscuits?
NOTE: The products above should have fillings inside the item rather than being a layer or sandwiched

Reaction score
Speaking from the American standpoint..........

People are not so interested in breads as they are pastries. A lot of people nowadays are becoming allergic to breads and becoming "gluten free". But they will usually accept the consequences of eating gluten when it comes to the pastries.

America is divided when it comes to filled pastries though. You have three types of people who like filled pastries - cream fillings, fruit fillings, and nut fillings. Although I like all three, I prefer nut fillings myself. There is no particular kind of cream, fruit, or nut filling that is the most popular though. There are fruit creams and nut creams as well.

If you want something that is a standard across the board, then go with chocolate. You can't go wrong with chocolate. Caramel is also popular. For me, I prefer Butterscotch over chocolate, but it is extremely difficult to find Butterscotch desserts of any kind.

Dark chocolate is still gaining popularity because a lot of people are becoming diabetic and cannot eat a lot of sugar, and dark chocolate has very little sugar in it.

Obviously you are looking to sell some kind of bread item over here in the states. I will let you know now, that people here are finicky and don't always like the same thing for very long. You can make filled buns if you want, but I doubt they would sell as a mass marketing item. Your best bet is to sell some kind of filled pastry. But it will all depend on who you are marketing them too, how you are marketing them, and what part of the USA you will be attempting to sell to.

Ask a Question